Gears for CB 1220 XL

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

NateD

Gears for CB 1220 XL

Post by NateD »

So, I went to cut some 1/4 x 20TPI threads today, and guess what, missing the 30 tooth gear. Anyone know how available that will be? Also, "E" gear, is that a 27 tooth gear? Thanks of the help!
ken572

Re: Gears for CB 1220 XL

Post by ken572 »

NateD wrote:So, I went to cut some 1/4 x 20TPI threads today, and guess what, missing the 30 tooth gear. Anyone know how available that will be? Also, "E" gear, is that a 27 tooth gear? Thanks of the help!
Good Morning :!: NateD :D

Go To:
http://www.smithy.com/midas/pricing/xl

Scroll down to Support and Contact Them
for replacement Change Gears and Prices.

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
NateD

Post by NateD »

Thanks Ken, just dropped them a note
Torch

Post by Torch »

If you can't get one, send me a PM.
NateD

Post by NateD »

Thanks guys, $10.99 later, it's in the mail. Smithy does have good customer service, I'll hand them that
NateD

Post by NateD »

and, to close the thread out, UPS left the package in the rain last night, kudos to Smithy!
IMG_1630.jpg
TomB

Post by TomB »

Before the thread goes away I'd like to take advantage of the good picture to ask a question. The hub and gear looked just like the hub and gear for my Shopmaster. Do all or many of these 3-in-1 machines with the changeable threading gears use the same parts? Mine look like a sintered parts as do the ones in the picture and I doubt it would be worth the effort for two companies to make the forms and set up the manufacturing process. So it would not surprise me if there might be a single real factory. (Actually nothing about these parts would surprise me. I once tried to TIG a broken hub and it caught fire. It was on a steel table so it did not hurt anything but it was hard to put out.) :)

Tom
Torch

Post by Torch »

It's not the first similarity I've heard of between those two makes.
NateD

Post by NateD »

They are definitely sintered and crappy! Getting this thing put back together is the definition of frustrating
Torch

Post by Torch »

I'm trying to figure out why you need the hub. Are some positions free-wheeling and some keyed?

I made a bunch of gears for my own machine, but they all have a single keyway.
NateD

Post by NateD »

the lead screw shaft is smooth, no key. You actually have to drill a hole through the hub and put a pin in it. Very Manky
RussellCofIdaho

Post by RussellCofIdaho »

I bought a used SHOPTASK 12-22TC in the '90's from ShopTask (now ShopMaster) with the understanding that if it didn't suit my needs, they would give me full trade in value on a new machine. Well, it sat covered in my shop for many years and when we lost our ranch I moved it to my place and it is pretty rusted and 'stove up'. According to their history page http://web.archive.org/web/201303092251 ... m/history/ (they have recently revamped their page and many links are no longer working - this is from http://www.archive.org)
Shoptask then developed a new model with significantly more features, most importantly, power feed and thread cutting. With such success, however, came a downside… Shoptask found that some of the companies that had signed on as dealers were now contacting
the Chinese and making their own deals direct. At this time, Chinese economics laws were in their infancy, and despite exclusive contracts for the designs, factories making copies of the 3 in 1 design began appearing all across China. It was at this time that Shoptask made a shift in its fundamental business plan. First, it was decided to sell only direct to the consumer by mail order and second, Shoptask would establish its own factory in China.
This is a similar story that I was told when I bought my machine, if it is true it must be very frustrating for them but it is also very fortunate for us as many parts 'should be' interchangeable! They are all hand built machines so parts are not exact but they should be close enough to file, scrape or machine to fit (that is what they do in the factory to build them new!)

I am working on getting my machine going as I have several parts I would like to produce for sale and am working on a design for inexpensive, multi piece grand scale railway wheels. If things work out I will probably upgrade so am watching these forums (here and http://www.cnczone.com/forums/metalworking-machines/) for tips to buy the best I can afford.
Russell Courtenay
Idaho - USA
unknownidaho.wordpress.com
Big trains and big dreams...