Ames Triplex

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

LVRR2095

Ames Triplex

Post by LVRR2095 »

I am not interested in a 3-in-1 machine at the moment.....but I could change my mind if I could find an Ames Triplex from the 1920's! I think I would display it in our family room and not get it dirty in the shop.
Keith
radial1951

Re: Ames Triplex

Post by radial1951 »

If you find one, let me know and I'll add it to the list.

For those who don't know what an Ames Triplex looks like, here is S/N 1033.

I have photos of 9 Triplexes, 7 with their Serial Numbers, and knowledge of 2 others, whereabouts unknown. 3 in the UK, 1 in Australia and the rest in the USA.

That's it, a total of 11 machines out of probably 150 produced between approximately 1922 and 1940.
Attachments
Ames Triplex Serial No1033.jpg
spro

Post by spro »

Thanks for posting and more. This design has not been replicated, largely because it required heavy accurate sections at all points for the bed to raise and fixed. The lathe spindle becomes a milling spindle over an arc....blathering, sorry. Machines as this require an understanding of many things the Engineers of before, knew.
toolroom

Post by toolroom »

There are three of these in Hillsboro, Oregon, in the entryway of a manufacturing plant in the lobby. I was told the company started out with several of these machines. They are really nice little well built machines.
radial1951

Post by radial1951 »

toolroom wrote:There are three of these in Hillsboro, Oregon, in the entryway of a manufacturing plant in the lobby. I was told the company started out with several of these machines. They are really nice little well built machines.
Hi Toolroom, would you be able to find the name of the company that has the 3 Triplexes you refer to? Photos of those machines and their Serial Numbers would be very (extremely) interesting. I have photos of 9 Triplexes from No.1016 to 1150. There were several engineering changes introduced over the years of production as can be seen in the photos I have. Although made by Ames, the early machines had the name of the Triplex Machine Corp on them, as No.1016 has. As there are no machines, so far, with S/N under No.1000, I suspect the numbers started at 1001.

From an engineering point of view, the Triplex was very well made and therefore quite expensive. When the first Bridgeport in 1938 was $995, the Triplex was over $2200, which would support the view that so few of them were made, only 150 or so in about 20 years.

Here's a photo of nicely restored No.1148 from 1938. The only one with a known date as it has a U.S.Navy brass tag on it. Any information or photos of the Triplex is very welcome.

Regards, RossG
radial1951
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Interesting. Thanks for posting that.

You can read more about them here:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/amestriplex/

In fact, Tony would probably want copies of your pictures.

Edit: Now that I went to page 2, I see that you already HAVE sent Tony your pictures.

Steve
mikeehlert

Post by mikeehlert »

I can see why a small shop would want one or several of these. Great tool for making stuff without taking up much room. Although the Navy Yard machine was a typical government buy ($$$) and versitility got some senior chief machinist mate all the repair capability he needed.

Would love to have one on exhibit at work or home.
toolroom

Post by toolroom »

Gosh Radial,
Since I've had a series of heart problems I rarely go anywhere today. If I could find the machine shop I do not know if they would have that information or not. This mfg plant was extremely hard to access. But I do remember the machines that were posted in this thread, AND, looking at the photo posted, the machines that were in the lobby were the same, but much, much smaller. If I can recount, the bed may have been18-20" but this is just a rough estimate. Perhaps the manufacturer made different versions and sizes?
radial1951

Post by radial1951 »

toolroom wrote:Gosh Radial,
Since I've had a series of heart problems I rarely go anywhere today. If I could find the machine shop I do not know if they would have that information or not. This mfg plant was extremely hard to access. But I do remember the machines that were posted in this thread, AND, looking at the photo posted, the machines that were in the lobby were the same, but much, much smaller. If I can recount, the bed may have been18-20" but this is just a rough estimate. Perhaps the manufacturer made different versions and sizes?
Hi Toolroom, sorry to hear your are restricted in your movements. I would be happy just to know the name of the business that has those 3 Triplexes so I could follow it up. Or the type of business and approximate location so I can search. If the machines still exist, then it shouldn't be too hard to get some photos of them and the Serial Numbers which are stamped on the front of the head. That would be great information, and the build/buy dates would be really good.

I guess those photos do make the machine look big, especially as there is nothing to gauge the size against. Here is a photo that clearly shows the Triplex is not all that big. In fact the Between Centres Distance is only 14" with a longitudinal table travel of 10". The bench space of the base is 30"x16" and the cast iron stand was on option. From the information I have, there was only one size Triplex.

Hi SteveM: - Yes, Tony has some of my photos, but I have lots more. I spoke to Tony last year and he found a hi-res version of one of his original photos which allowed him to zoom in and see the Serial Number. So the Triplex with all the attachments on his website is No.1150, while the photo of the one with the DRO is unfortunately not sharp enough to see its S/N.

Regards, RossG
radial1951
spro

Post by spro »

Just looking at this fascinating machine is a bit like doing a puzzle. I could go to the site now but think the longitudinal saddle feed is by the wheel of the knee below the cross slide. Thru mitre gearing it would operate a lead screw between the bed ways. It is also cool that the spindle can be extended so that work can be machined behind the chuck jaws. Truly an icon of engineering.
Scottman

Post by Scottman »

Hello, I have recently purchased one of these fascinating machines (SN 1065). It seems to have been well-respected throughout its working life and is generally in very good shape for an 80 year old machine. It has been several different colours throughout its life but everything seems to work, except that the chain to the counterweight has been disconnected and so raising the head is very difficult. I have started taking things apart to clean it up and repaint, so, at some point I'm sure I will get to the bottom of the counterweight issue. I would love to communicate with other people who have or have had one of these machines.

Scott
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Scott:
Pictures please, when possible.
Thanks.
~RN