Knuth DBF-800

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Abrackeen

Knuth DBF-800

Post by Abrackeen »

Hello all,

I just picked up a barn find 2007 Knuth DBF-800 still in the original crate.

I'm having to unpack the machine and disassemble it in order to move it in the garage. So far it looks like there is only light surface rust on the ways. It also looks like the machine has leaked the original 70 weight oil out from a gasket on the side of the column.

I plan on cleaning all rust with #000 steel wool. I'm hoping to be able to clean out the 9 year old oil and replace the gasket as well. I have only rolled the lathe chuck and milling head by hand, but they felt smooth considering the machine has sat in the Texas heat for 9 years.

If anyone has time to share knowledge on what I should watch out for or pay special attention to on a machine that has been sitting extend periods of time I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, I do not see this model on the manufacturers website anymore. I called and managed to get the ad sheet and the manual, so would any of you have any experience with this machine or series of machine? I've only ever ran a lathe so I am definitely new to the combination machines. I'd really like to know the pros and cons of this series and would like to know if the two hour trip to pick it up was a waste.

Thank you in advance,
Austin
Torch

Re: Knuth DBF-800

Post by Torch »

My preference would be spray the light rust with Evaporust, cover with paper or shop towels soaked in same rather than the abrasive approach. A light scrub with the damp shop towels will get rust out of any pits.

Watch for hardened grease in any bearings.

Other than that, I wouldn't presume to offer advice. A quick google search shows that "machining centre" is way beyond the typical Chinese 3-in-1. Very nice find.
Abrackeen

Post by Abrackeen »

I'm guessing you found the page that shows the current DBF-800 machine. This machine appears to be identical to the Bolton Tools BT800.

I will use Evaporust as recommended instead of steel wool.

I have also attached the ad/spec sheet I got from the manufacturer. I couldn't compress the manual enough to meet the size requirements though.

Thank you for your advice.

Austin
Attachments
DBF 800.compressed.pdf
DBF-800 ad sheet
(161.54 KiB) Downloaded 550 times
Torch

Post by Torch »

Oh, ok, that's the typical Chinese 3-in-1. Did you get the set of change gears with it? You need them for threading.
Abrackeen

Post by Abrackeen »

I did get all of the change gears with the machine.

Well, it sounds like I should be able to find a wealth of information on my machine here.

Now I just have to find or make a bench to hold it.