Shoptask 1720

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

spro

Re: Shoptask 1720

Post by spro »

Sure it looks good. Somebody has to say something. How about a smarmy lefty reply. How about spray it green and throw it in the trash. How about having it at the curb and be fined $100s to remove it. How about it didn't happen and it is sweet!
Keyair

Post by Keyair »

?
spro

Post by spro »

Gotta rise. Sometimes people don't understand and that is good. Your trial and improvements are well filed into memory and serve others who face similar challenges. I did say how quickly you met each one and went out there and did it before the paint was dry. Yes there was a little admonition, mostly to myself but it was figure of speaking about something else which had not happened to you. Therefor it was safe to say.
Keyair

Post by Keyair »

Update time!
Been working hard in my shop.
Recently built/modified a bunch of tools to push some projects forward.
Built a sheet metal station that includes an English wheel, planishing hammer and bead roller attached to one central spine. I also added an outrigger that has a 2" trailer hitch receiver that accepts multiple tools including a shrinker/stretcher, vice, sandbag station, and also a wheel polishing station.
Lots of lathe work, but I need the mill to work better so it was time for mods!
I removed the mill head quill and drilled it out to accept the M12 bolt to be able to use the collet system I bought. Also the boring head I want is M12 too. It was not easy but I got there. Checked and repacked the head bearings while it was out.
Next needed to make a draw bolt. Couldn't find an an 11 1/2" long M12 bolt anywhere so fabbed one using two old Subaru head bolts and a section of M12 bolt. Tig welding them all together was a fun exercise and I'm happy with the result.

Yesterday I also added the X and Y axis DRO. Still some tidy up work to do today but I am reasonably happy. I need to add some protection for the readers, but will post some pics when I'm done.
Want to add a reader to the mill head too, but that will come later.
RussellCofIdaho

Post by RussellCofIdaho »

Sounds great! Would love to see some pictures of your setup, I'm trying to move everything around to get it all to fit in about 10x20', metal and woodworking, which is a challenge. There seem to be lots of compact woodworking shop ideas on the net but no metal shop ideas...
Russell Courtenay
Idaho - USA
unknownidaho.wordpress.com
Big trains and big dreams...
RussellCofIdaho

Going back through the thread to review your work I see that the changes at Photobucket causing errors in all the other boards is happening here too. Is it the photos hosted on this board are actually on Photobucket? I thought this board did its own hosting? Sadly, it is everywhere and really limits the usefulness of message boards.

Of course much of the activity has moved to Facebook, which is fine but the archived information here and on other boards is a wealth of knowledge that is now a bit less accessible.
Russell Courtenay
Idaho - USA
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

RussellCofIdaho wrote: I thought this board did its own hosting? Sadly, it is everywhere and really limits the usefulness of message boards.
It's one of the options offered to readers, one that would have ensured photos remained with comments. Sadly, many chose to not use the feature, and that's now yielding problems.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Keyair

Post by Keyair »

Yup, I did use PB, and had done for years, assuming that they would be stable and honest with their service... but they SUCK, and deserve to suffer a painful Corporate death.

However... anyone using Chrome or Firefox can easily download a "Plugin" that bypasses the PB block so you can see the thread as it was, pics and all.
I have it, and its working fine!

I will post some pics once I have shrunk them down.
spro

Post by spro »

From one who followed your improvements, I look forward to your pics here or as you suggested.
RussellCofIdaho

Keyair wrote:Yup, I did use PB, and had done for years, assuming that they would be stable and honest with their service... but they SUCK, and deserve to suffer a painful Corporate death.

However... anyone using Chrome or Firefox can easily download a "Plugin" that bypasses the PB block so you can see the thread as it was, pics and all.
I have it, and its working fine!

I will post some pics once I have shrunk them down.
I didn't know about that plugin, I'll search for it, what is it called?
Russell Courtenay
Idaho - USA
Keyair

Post by Keyair »

Keyair

Post by Keyair »

Here is my recently built ball turning attachment !
Attachments
Ball turning.jpg