Shoptask 1720

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

spro

Re: Shoptask 1720

Post by spro »

I must confess to have gone astray in this thread. It is like every single thing must be changed or it won't work. There have been improvements at every stage and it isn't the same machine that Keyair brought home. So all my ramble can be put in the vertical file. From bearings to alignment, critics. This is wrong. I hope I will be forgiven for being too anal about individual things when the proof is in the outcome.
I think that this machine will perform fine as intended with collets and the new bearings. All the improvements will be evident.. Early on, It was suggested a small rotary table be placed on your table for it would give the additional height and greatly expand the milling possibilities. Perhaps I was one who blew that off. Well, it depends on which one, type.. One that is only rotary because you don't need another X-Y . Short within your range of milling to that depth.
Then it gets fun when you can use your lathe chuck attached to a spud in center of RT/ or aligned with spud to mount the chuck directly to the RT. :)
Keyair

Post by Keyair »

Guys, Its all good, keep firing!
I have had my Son in town, plus been working on a few other projects, so dont worry!
Be back at it this week, or next.
Keyair

Post by Keyair »

Been busy on other stuff, but a few updates.

Bought a MT3 chuck and set of collets, but I have to bore out the head for the M12 bolt.

I did score this week...
Picked up this for $100 at an estate sale... they said it was broken... but it was just in "Neutral"...
Took me a fewe mins to figure it out!
Did I do ok?
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Don't know how you could go wrong at that price. Especially considering the chuck has master jaws.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Keyair

Post by Keyair »

Oh, it gets better...
I went back there today, and in sifting thru boxes found some more stuff that I think goes with it...
Set of indexing plates and a faceplate...
Convinced them that I thought they were part of the set in the box, so got them for free.
They also had a 4 jaw that looked like it fitted...

On top of that I got some other stuff that I think I scored on...
Pics coming....
Keyair

Post by Keyair »

My Girlfriend was giggling at me, as I set out for the 2nd day to "mine" this estate sale.
So, I confirmed, the Taiwan made F.Y.H. TCS-6 was made whole with its accessories..
Keyair

Post by Keyair »

Keyair

Post by Keyair »

Keyair

Post by Keyair »

My question is about the dividing plates... never seen that type before and no idea where they fit!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I'm not familiar with that indexing rotab, but I expect that the indexing plates will mount beneath the table---probably from the bottom. They're intended to be changed without a lot of effort, and make indexing very easy and foolproof. The large lever on the left hand side (in the picture) is likely the indexing pawl.
if the device is up to snuff, you got one hell of a good deal!

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Keyair

Post by Keyair »

Thanks Harold.
I will take a look tomorrow.
spro

Post by spro »

This was a super find. "Super spacers" allow the rotary gearing to be disconnected and those plates used for direct indexing. Harold mentioned that lever. The chuck is decent also. There are many great things to be done with that unit and all the other parts you found.
It may be premature for me to say this.. probably you already know it. That was more than a deal. It was a steal.