Issues with DRO on Midas 1220 LTD

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

warmstrong1955

Re: Issues with DRO on Midas 1220 LTD

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Oh....whoops....I thought the question was to me.....

Never mind.....

;)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Torch

Post by Torch »

heavyg603 wrote:Do you ever have issues with coolant or chips on yours in the front ?
No, it's been fine. Mind you, I am using a glass scale with a double lip seal mounted so the read head on the underside. Pretty hard for anything to get at it.

The other advantage about having the scale on the chuck side is it allowed me to do this on the tailstock side:

heavyg603

Post by heavyg603 »

Ah ok. Mine is a cheap magnetic one, with a questionable reader mount.
heavyg603

Post by heavyg603 »

Ok what a weekend.
Broke the whole y axis down,
cleaned it,
redid a bracket that was a little sloppy on a hole,
wrecked the bracket it test (much yelling ensued),
built a new one,
remounted with lock tight
Put a new shield over the whole thing.

Really wanted to mount it on the tail stock side but I couldn't imagine a spot I could put the stand offs without some serious bracket building. I might do it in the future now that everything is working now.

Much thanks to everyone who helped! Gave me a ton of ideas on how to fix this.
IMG_1800 (1024x768).jpg
IMG_1801 (768x1024).jpg
IMG_1802 (768x1024).jpg
Last edited by heavyg603 on Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Hey....if it works....you're good to go!

I bought my scales & DRO and all, and finally found a spare day to get it all installed....about 3 or 4 months later. :D
It sure won't hurt to ponder on a different installation if you choose to do that later! Nothing like having a plan!

:)
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
heavyg603

Post by heavyg603 »

Just added some pics. Oh I definitely want to do more here. Stumbled across the TouchDRO project, I just have to figure out how to get that on my system lol.
warmstrong1955 wrote:Hey....if it works....you're good to go!

I bought my scales & DRO and all, and finally found a spare day to get it all installed....about 3 or 4 months later. :D
It sure won't hurt to ponder on a different installation if you choose to do that later! Nothing like having a plan!

:)
heavyg603

Post by heavyg603 »

Just did a little more with my setup. Added a Touch DRO system (http://www.yuriystoys.com/). Went through a huge hassle with interference from the scales (next time I'm buying glass) but now thats its resolved I have a ton more functionality on my existing scales.
Attachments
IMG_1813.JPG
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

I built a parallel motion slide with ball slides on parallel shafts and mounted the scale to the shaft end brackets and the read head to the slides, that gives you a stand-alone unit that is very robust and not easily damaged. The whole thing hangs outboard on the back of the lathe with a straight rod to transmit motion.

http://www.magic9designltd.com/fitting- ... uper-7-dro

- Nick
heavyg603

Post by heavyg603 »

Magicniner wrote:I built a parallel motion slide with ball slides on parallel shafts and mounted the scale to the shaft end brackets and the read head to the slides, that gives you a stand-alone unit that is very robust and not easily damaged. The whole thing hangs outboard on the back of the lathe with a straight rod to transmit motion.

http://www.magic9designltd.com/fitting- ... uper-7-dro

- Nick
Well that certainly gets it out of the way. I may look at that on my next iteration of this.