Issues with DRO on Midas 1220 LTD

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

heavyg603

Issues with DRO on Midas 1220 LTD

Post by heavyg603 »

I searched around a bit for this but couldn't find anything that applied.
I initially installed a DRO on the chuck side of my table (y axis) after not seeing a really clean way to put it on the tailstock side, where it would be less susceptible to splashing. Used one of the iGaging ones from eBay after I saw a guys post on YouTube that did it that way with a shield so I sort of duplicated that. Uses a piece of aluminum angle across the front for a shield. Worked great for a while but now the anchor I used to the bottom is sliding a bit, no doubt from all the coolant I've been using with stainless lately. Looking at the granite install it looks like they put in on the tailstock side so there must be a way that looked too difficult when I first did it. Now that I have a little more experience with the machine and DRO I want to move it to a better spot. Anyone have experience mounting on the tailstock side care to share their experience ? Or if someone had the install docs for the one for the Granite that might help as well. My gib and lock adjustments are on this side but there has to be a way........
warmstrong1955

Re: Issues with DRO on Midas 1220 LTD

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I have a Granite, and used glass scales,but this may give you some ideas.
No way I could put the scale on the chuck side, nor would I want to. It would interfere with the headstock (crash), and too many chips.

So....tailstock side seemed the way to go. I've seen some, where the scale was mounted hanging off the back of the table. Solves the oiler access problem, but I was pretty sure I'd be cleaning up behind the lathe and break the scale. :(
So, I made some spacers for the scale, and I relocated the oiler. Made the spacers & an adapter out of a scrap piece of aluminum, and bought a threaded oiler & a tap from McMaster Carr.
The top of the oiler is below the top of the table, so it won't interfere with anything. I made a guard out of some aluminum angle.
I installed it all over 10 years ago, and no problems. I use oil, Koolmist including flood, WD40, and no problems. Different scale though....I have no experience with the iGaging ones.
Cross Slide Oiler.jpg
Cross Slide Scale Cover.jpg
Cross Slide Scale.jpg
Oiler Adapter II.jpg
See attached.

Hope that helps!
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Torch

Post by Torch »

Funny. I started with my glass scale on the tailstock side, and moved it to the chuck side. I don't have to extend the tailstock as far to reach over it.

I also have an aluminium angle guard over things.
heavyg603

Post by heavyg603 »

Thanks Bill. I never considered a spacer, that might be the way to go. So to access your gib adjustment you'd need to remove the DRO ? Probably not a big deal for me since I think I've done this once. There is no oiler on that side for me so I wouldn't need to worry about that part. My biggest interference would be the lock on that side but I think I could make it work with an access hole.

The one on the Granite IMAX is only covering half table end from what I can see and I'm not sure how they did that, assuming they are just covering the travel length.

Thanks,
Gary
warmstrong1955 wrote:I have a Granite, and used glass scales,but this may give you some ideas.
No way I could put the scale on the chuck side, nor would I want to. It would interfere with the headstock (crash), and too many chips.

So....tailstock side seemed the way to go. I've seen some, where the scale was mounted hanging off the back of the table. Solves the oiler access problem, but I was pretty sure I'd be cleaning up behind the lathe and break the scale. :(
So, I made some spacers for the scale, and I relocated the oiler. Made the spacers & an adapter out of a scrap piece of aluminum, and bought a threaded oiler & a tap from McMaster Carr.
The top of the oiler is below the top of the table, so it won't interfere with anything. I made a guard out of some aluminum angle.
I installed it all over 10 years ago, and no problems. I use oil, Koolmist including flood, WD40, and no problems. Different scale though....I have no experience with the iGaging ones.
Cross Slide Oiler.jpg
Cross Slide Scale Cover.jpg
Cross Slide Scale.jpg
Oiler Adapter II.jpg
See attached.

Hope that helps!
Bill
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

My tailstock is about a 1/2" short of sliding up to the cross slide after I installed the scale & guard.

I've never had an issue with not having enough reach with the tailstock. May be that the Granite has more travel than the Midas?
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

If you look at the last pic, you can see the flatbar that I mounted the transducer, as well as the gib adjuster.
I drilled a hole in the flatbar, so I can get at it with an allen wrench. So, I remove the angle cover, loosen the locknut with a tappet wrench, and can get at the setscrew with a ball end allen.

Not a big deal, cause, like you say, don't need to do it often.

Bill
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

When I was noodling out how to install mine, I used some blocks & things to sort of hold the scale in place, and measured from there.
That's what gave me the idea of the spacers, and the oiler block.

There are tapped holes in the Granite, for installing, I think a Shooting Star DRO, but none of those were usable. I drilled & tapped all my own.

Bill
heavyg603

Post by heavyg603 »

The spacers might be the magic on this for me. I used a piece of heavy gage sheet metal I bent into the correct shape because I had little space to work in. Solid pieces would give me rigidity the setup needs.
warmstrong1955 wrote:When I was noodling out how to install mine, I used some blocks & things to sort of hold the scale in place, and measured from there.
That's what gave me the idea of the spacers, and the oiler block.

There are tapped holes in the Granite, for installing, I think a Shooting Star DRO, but none of those were usable. I drilled & tapped all my own.

Bill
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

One other thing to watch for.....

On mine, if the angle guard is not in place, the wiper holder on the tailstock could wack the transducer.
The guard solves that, but you might just keep that in mind.
Nothin worse than finding out you have an interference problem by breaking something. I almost did, sliding things around testing it, before I finished drilling & c-sinking the guard & installing it.

Almost an :oops:

Bill
heavyg603

Post by heavyg603 »

Do you ever have issues with coolant or chips on yours in the front ?
Torch wrote:Funny. I started with my glass scale on the tailstock side, and moved it to the chuck side. I don't have to extend the tailstock as far to reach over it.

I also have an aluminium angle guard over things.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I never mounted mine in the front. (chuck side)
Is that what you mean?
It's always been where it's been, and I've never had a chip or coolant problem.

Bill
heavyg603

Post by heavyg603 »

Sorry, chuck side. Was responding to Tourch who said he moved his there.
warmstrong1955 wrote:I never mounted mine in the front. (chuck side)
Is that what you mean?
It's always been where it's been, and I've never had a chip or coolant problem.

Bill