Splash guard for Smithy Midas ?

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

heavyg603

Splash guard for Smithy Midas ?

Post by heavyg603 »

Has anyone here tried to build / buy a splash & chip backstop ? I know we need to access the back for lots of things but I'm getting tired of chasing chips lol.
toolroom

Re: Splash guard for Smithy Midas ?

Post by toolroom »

Well, since you asked... Because my Smithy is in front of my window, I purchased two drip pans from the local auto parts store (Blitz 36"X25"X1/2" deep and have one unser my Smithy, and the other has two slits cut just before the curved corner which act as tongue and groove. Clips right on! when not in use... my window is clear. Cheap and it is galvanized. Would post pice, but have a [cheap] AARP phone which doesn't do (expletive). Part of it can be seen in page two of the photo album... Dinkin's humble abode.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Some old pics.....

101 uses for a tarp...or an old piece of brattice cloth.

Note the group on yellow brattice cloth.
1340-I.jpg
It was a little too short, and starting to make a streak above it, so.......
I ran down to Big R, and got more sophisticated, with a $10 dollar poly tarp.
1340-II.jpg
:)
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
toolroom

Post by toolroom »

Heavy...
To reply, I have a friend coming over to take some pic's of the splash guard I use. It does rest against the wall, so this you must know beforehand. If your machine is mid ship... in center of shop, you may wish to fashion a chain o r tin work on the sides if it would be permanent. I will post pic's for you shortly. Then again, there a whole lot of very innovative and clever individuals in this forum, so "seek, and ye shall find."
Best of luck.
toolroom
toolroom

Post by toolroom »

Heavy,
Here are the pics of the drip pans on my 1220 XL hope the photo's come thru, and help some.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

toolroom wrote:Heavy,
Here are the pics of the drip pans on my 1220 XL hope the photo's come thru, and help some.
It would be in your best interest to reverse how the pans get married. Anything that might accumulate on the vertical pan should drain to the horizontal pan. As currently assembled, you'd get drips of oil on the floor.

I had tarps made for both my lathe and mill, intended to protect the walls in my shop. They are eight feet tall, and project well beyond the machines. They were installed on hooks permanently installed, placed specifically for the tarps. I use air in my shop, so chips are often propelled beyond the machines. I also built a backsplash for my lathe (which is coolant equipped). The backsplash rests on the chip pan (base casting of the machine) and has a side member that closes the gap between the headstock and wall portion of the splash. The wall behind the lathe supports the splash guard, which returns coolant to the chip pan, as intended.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
toolroom

Post by toolroom »

Sorry Harold,
I'll keep my mouth shut from now on!
heavyg603

Post by heavyg603 »

toolroom wrote:Heavy,
Unfortunately they didn't come through it looks like.
heavyg603

Post by heavyg603 »

toolroom wrote:Well, since you asked... Because my Smithy is in front of my window, I purchased two drip pans from the local auto parts store (Blitz 36"X25"X1/2" deep and have one unser my Smithy, and the other has two slits cut just before the curved corner which act as tongue and groove. Clips right on! when not in use... my window is clear. Cheap and it is galvanized. Would post pice, but have a [cheap] AARP phone which doesn't do (expletive). Part of it can be seen in page two of the photo album... Dinkin's humble abode.
I'll need to look into it. Might work for me.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

toolroom wrote:Sorry Harold,
I'll keep my mouth shut from now on!
That certainly isn't required, nor expected. Your contributions are welcome here, just as those are from all others.
Sorry if I came across as being critical of your setup. That isn't the case--it's just that assembling the pans as I suggested would eliminate any potential drips.

I wish you'd have left the pictures, as they are certainly helpful for others to view. Any chance you'd consider reposting them?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.