Midas 1220 LTD axis lock issue

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

heavyg603

Midas 1220 LTD axis lock issue

Post by heavyg603 »

Has anyone had issues on the Midas with the X axis lock screw ? When I snug it up it seems to may the Y axis also get tight. Didn't notice this when I first got the machine but I'm using the locks now more. Incidentally the Y access lock does not affect the X access at all.
heavyg603

Re: Midas 1220 LTD axis lock issue

Post by heavyg603 »

Wow no one has seen this ? Looks like a call to Smithy is in order then.......
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I still have a 1340, and have never had that problem, even when I was using it daily.
Sorry....not ignored....I just have no answer.

You may want to try the Smithy Group site. Lot of Smithy owners there.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/smi ... hines/info

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Should you call Smithy, which is not a bad idea, I suggest you ask for Kerry Ballard.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
heavyg603

Post by heavyg603 »

Thanks Bill

Gary
heavyg603

Post by heavyg603 »

Just an update on this. Adjusting the gibs seemed to help. Can't see why it helped to be honest but hey cant argue with success :)
pete

Post by pete »

If adjusting one axis makes changes to the slides fit in another axis then there's no question something is changing the fit of the components. I'd start by pulling the slides apart for a close inspection and through cleaning including the feed screws and nuts. Congealed old oil and full of wear particles does nothing for machine longevity. Then check just how flat the gibs are on at least a sheet of glass. Surface plate is obviously the best. But glass will give you a rough idea of what you have. Adjusting the gibs even a bit too tight really wears a machine down far faster than proper adjustments do. The handwheels for the slide movement should never feel stiff to move. NEVER AND I REPEAT NEVER "lap" the slides togeather like you see mentioned on forums and Youtube. Yes it makes them feel smoother, but there's zero control over exactly where your removing metal. You far more likely to make the machine more inaccurate than you'd think. Have you had a machine crash lately? If so check for cracked or bent components as well. If this is something the machine didn't do before then obviously somethings changed. The multiple causes something like this to happen can't really be properly sorted out on a forum without doing a good phyisical inspection by youself first.