Need Drawbar or Print for EMCO Maximat Compact

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

sirwillgoodguy

Need Drawbar or Print for EMCO Maximat Compact

Post by sirwillgoodguy »

Hello Everyone,

I have recently acquired a Emco Maximat Compact MQ3100 lathe and mill. I am missing the drawbar assembly. Does anyone here know where I can acquire a replacement or perhaps get a print for assembly?

I believe the parts numbers are KD 6.30-33, KD 6.30-21, KD 6.30-22, and KD 6.30-37. Are they still produced anywhere or does anyone know of someone selling them?

Thanks,
Will
Bill Shields

Re: Need Drawbar or Print for EMCO Maximat Compact

Post by Bill Shields »

Are you speaking of the drawbar for the milling head?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
sirwillgoodguy

Post by sirwillgoodguy »

yes for milling head.
WesHowe

Post by WesHowe »

For what it is worth, I have used an all-thread rod (using a pair of jam nuts) as a draw bar before on a small 3/4 HP mill with a head similar to the online pictures I saw of your Maximat (I have never seen one in person). All the cutting forces transfer to the spindle through the taper, a draw bar only needs to keep the tool holder pulled tightly in place, and should not have any torsional forces exerted on it.
sirwillgoodguy

Post by sirwillgoodguy »

Thank you for the information you provided. I am new to the internet and am learning each day. I am excited to be able to use this awesome lathe in the near future and appreciate all the input I am receiving from others.
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

I don't know the details of you emco, but you can certainly buy a "generic" replacement and size it accordingly. These are plentiful on ebay. Just search for "mill drawbar."
sirwillgoodguy

Post by sirwillgoodguy »

Thank U a hole lot. This is all new 2 me being on line. I am only 70 HA HA
WesHowe

Post by WesHowe »

I saw your post days ago, but I didn't have specific information on that model. But I felt bad that no one was responding, and I think it was likely for the same reason.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. Most of the active members add a location in their profile... it needn't be the exact town, just a nearby city or area.
pete

Post by pete »

Not an Emco model I knew about before now. Going by the pictures on the Lathes UK site it appears some of it was patterned along the lines of a Myford ML 7 or Super 7. Pure luck if you were to find a used one for sale and Emco no longer supports the much later model machines like the Super 11 etc. But not enough information in your post. What taper does the milling heads spindle have? Likely an MT 2 but I can't be sure of that. And almost for sure it would be a metric thread but if your in North America it's remotely possible it's imperial. Do you have any tooling with the correct taper that fits the mill? MT 2 is generaly either M 10 thread pitch for metric or 3/8ths x 16 tpi for imperial. But with older machine tools you can never be sure unless you can check what thread the taper shank drawbar thread is.

The total spindle length is fairly short so it might be possible to get a long enough bolt to fit, then use the lathe to machine and single point a replica of the original if wanted. With the first drawbar you can then use the mill to cut the wrench flats. Not a hard job at all. However you do NOT want to overtighten any drawbar on anything that uses a morse taper. A bit past snug is all that's needed. Over tighten it and you'll be forced to really start hammering on the end to get the taper released. You'll still need to back the drawbar off a couple of turns and then lightly tap it out on the end of the drawbar.

Emco made some extremely good equipment, keeping it clean and well oiled with a proper way oil is the minimum you can do to help the machine operate as well as it should.
sch

Post by sch »

Drawbar threading is determined by the threads on the collet, milling bit holders and drill chuck
holders you have. As noted this may be English or metric threads. A length of all thread
with washers and a wingnut may be all that is needed, especially if your collets etc
turn out to have different threading. 3/8x16 or 10mm are the most common, depending on the
source, but metric is more likely for European sourced tooling. After you get your lathe
running and some tooling you can make a shoulder washer for the all-thread or you can
make your own drawbar with a hex on top, but I find a wingnut is more than adequate.