Smithy Granite 1340 Max Bench Grinder Mount

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Agleason

Smithy Granite 1340 Max Bench Grinder Mount

Post by Agleason »

https://youtu.be/2wbQXdsvSaQ

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Harold_V

Re: Smithy Granite 1340 Max Bench Grinder Mount

Post by Harold_V »

Very nice job of mounting, but I question your choice of location, as running abrasives near a machine isn't the best choice one could make. In use, you'll cover critical way surfaces with abrasive particles, which will reduce the effective lifespan of the ways.

Knowing that you're limited to available space, make sure you wipe the way surfaces carefully, then oiling, before using the Smithy.

Welcome to the board.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Looks great, but I agree about the location mounting the grinder there. But other than that, I think you are on a good path.

I did something similar starting back around 2002. I needed to mount a JD2 tubing bender outside to bend tubing for building my rock crawler buggy, which required lots of room for tubing to swing. Just a piece of 2" receiver tubing about 3' tall bolted to the slab. But I didn't want to leave it there in the weather, so a quick mount was required. But I didn't want to always have to work outside, particularly since it can be nearly 120*F in the shade here. So I made a receiver mount inside. And I have other tools like a bead roller and strap/bar bender that are only needed periodically, so they got 2" spuds to mount in the main posts as well. Then I added 3 receiver sections (about 6" long each) around my welding/fab table. The roller and strap bender live there most of the time providing quick access for smaller more common work. The third table mount usually holds a beater vise (it has scars from plasm and O/A work, and literally beating on it). But of course things move around. And the receivers are welded below table height so that if I need full 360* access to the fab table, or overhangs (like axles and roll-cage/body sections) everything comes off in seconds providing a clear top. I also added 2 on my heavy (about 500 lbs) rolling abrasive table. These usually hold my small bench grinders (3 wire wheels and a debur) in it's receivers. It also has my belt grinders/sanders along all my angle grinders (has its own sub panel with extension cord) so I can move it outside for heavy grinding work (3 more grinders (7", 8", and Carbide) are on "walking" pedestals) to also go outside for heavy/long duty usage. That helps keep as much abrasive as possible outside my shop. All the receivers have a 1/2" nut welded on the side with a short bolt so I can take out the wobble from the loose fit of receiver tube. I've also got other tools on mounts as well.

I also added a few accessories. Like an extension bar (with outrigger feet) and 90* adapter so that all my various receiver mounted tools can be mounted in a standard 2" receiver found on all my vehicles. There is also a small welding/fab table with 3/8" top and about 16" square that sometimes lives on that adapter. I've found that it's a very handy system, and easy to expand.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
pete

Post by pete »

Yep 100% about that grinding dust and machine tools. It's not just the immediate damage it does. Any grinding dust on the machine will tend to get embedded in the softer bottom side metal of the machines carriage or even the tailstock for example. From then on it works exactly like a lap. My shops small, about 10'5" x 11'5" and other than wet grinding all other grinding gets done outside. A true pita but it is what it is. The ways get covered very well even when using emory cloth or machining any abrasive material like rusty steel or cast iron.

One thing I noticed in your video, the general rule of thumb for stock 2" or less in diameter is that at the very most you have a maximum of 3 times the stock diameter outside the jaws of the chuck unsupported while cutting. For sure I would have center drilled the end of that stock and used a dead or live center in the tailstock to support material of that diameter and length. One problem is the work tends to flex away from the cutting tool giving you a tapered part. Even worse is if the stock really flexes and climbs over the tool tip. It can then bend and do a whole lot of expensive damage and maybe even to parts of you.
Agleason

Post by Agleason »

Thank you so much for your comments! I know th grinder is closer than anyone would like, but I do keep the Smithy covered all the time it's not being used. I also clean the ways before each use. I have many other items that will be mounted in the same fashion. I really appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk