Maximat FB-2 mill

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

glscott

Maximat FB-2 mill

Post by glscott »

New to this forum, but have owned two Maximat machines, a V7 and a V10.
In answer to Ben's question about the milling head sizes, both are identical, in fact I used parts from the V7mill to repair the V10 mill. The milling column was also the same length on both machines and the mounting bases had identical hole spacing. I still have the V10 but sold the V7(with partial milling head) several years ago.

I have a question about the Schaublin collet holder that came with the V10 (MT2 milling spindle): What size collets fit this collet holder? L-20?
glscott
len

Re: Maximat FB-2 mill

Post by len »

I have not seen any collet sizes other than ESX-25 specified for the F2B mill on the V10. I recently bought a ER-25 collet chuck with a MT2 shank (Taiwan) for my V10 lathe, and it works fine. Am not sure what the difference is, if any, between ESX-25 and ER-25 collets. They seem to be interchangeable. A quality ETM brand, ER-25 chuck with MT2 shank is available from MSC.

len
willjordan

Post by willjordan »

The person I know with a Maximat mill with a Schaublin collet holder referred to it as an ER 25. I got a unit from Harbor Freight for my V10, has a MT2 shank and although I haven't verified it uses ER 25 collets. They are Chinese and unmarked.

I did have to make a special drawbar to deal with the 3/8 standard drawbar socket on the collet holder and the 5/16 maximum clearance in the spindle. Works well, though I believe the Shaublin is a bit nicer. I also got a set of MT2 collets that I have used successfully to hold my fly cutters and such.
grace & peace
will

[url=http://willjordan.com]Will's Web Pages[/url]
mendoje1

Post by mendoje1 »

If cheaper import brands are more to your liking, here's another source for MT2 ER25 collet chucks:

http://www.hhip.com/products/product_vi ... 0-0005-061

No connection to seller, other than being a satisfied customer.
Jeff
Rockwell-South Bend-Ammco-Delta-Craftsman-Lincoln-Harris-& Harbor Freight too !
mendoje1

Re: More about HF collet chuck

Post by mendoje1 »

I had one of the HF collet chucks, though mine was R8. It worked VERY well for me. The collets are not ER25, and I was not sucessful in identifying them. It comes with 6 collets (1/4 - 5/8), and if you only need to hold those six basic sizes it works very well.

Jeff
Rockwell-South Bend-Ammco-Delta-Craftsman-Lincoln-Harris-& Harbor Freight too !
Too_Many_Tools

Post by Too_Many_Tools »

Hi,

In reference to the comment that V10P and V7 mill columns are the same height, well that is what I thought too. Then one day I had a V10P and V7 of the same vintage side by side and darn if the V7's column was shorter (in scale with the shorter V7 lathe bed?). I then checked what documentation I had and it did indicate that the V7 was shipped with a shorter column at one time.

Could it be that the V7 that you had was one that someone had placed a V10P mill head on? Or maybe the factory started shipping only one height of the mill for an after original sale addon? Other than the height difference, the ones I have seen are identical (allowing for the color change (blue to green) and the four to six speed upgrade).

On the subject of Emco equipment, does anyone have any suggestions as to where to find information, parts and accessories?

Also, has anyone used a Emco mill attachment from the lathe/mill combo to make a stand alone mill like the FB2? I would love to see pictures of how you actually did it.

TIA

TMT
glscott

Post by glscott »

Thanks TMT! As both my Emcos were second or even third hand, it is possible that one ot the other had a replacement column. But in reference to your question: before I owned my Bridgport M head mill, I mounted the FB-2 on a 1" thick steel plate with a large angle plate to back up the column base. The normal mounting holes bolted to the angle plate. I also drilled two holes vertically through the base to bolt into the base plate. The result was acceptable, being about as stable as the lathe mount, but useful only for light milling and drilling. Still, it was a good setup and I did appreciate the FB-2 head's rotation capability.
As for collets, it appears that the Schaublin collet holder is meant to use ESX-25 collets. A check on the specs revealed that the ESX-25 is identical to ER-25 collets.
They are pricy.

glscott
Too_Many_Tools

Post by Too_Many_Tools »

Hi,

Thanks for the description of the home built Emco mill mount.

What did you use for a X-Y table?

The reason why I ask is that I am planning on mounting an Emco mill attachment over a Clausing X-Y table. The Emco X-Y table is not available any more. Your description is exactly what I was looking for in respect to do it. I had not thought of using the same mounting bracket in reverse. Great idea!

You are right in pointing out that rigidity is an issue with the Emco mount. I am planning on trying to address that with my mounting. Any suggestions?

I considered making a solid column to replace the hollow one that Emco used. It has also been suggested that one can pour the center fo the existing column with lead for damping. Also bracing the top of the column will likely help.

I also plan on extending the milling head a bit to get more work space in the Y-axis by inserting a short extension between the milling head and the existing mount.

Any other thoughts as to mods while I am making chips?

TMT
gengler

Post by gengler »

I have an Emco 7 with the old (4 speed, grease filled) milling head.
X-Y tables for this milling head are still produced; please refer to:

http://www.buitelaar.nl/pag/products.as ... ruistafels

This seems to be a (Taiwanese?) copy of the original one.
Good luck in finding a representative in the US!

Gep
(From The Netherlands)
cba

Post by cba »

There is no difference between ER and ESX collets. The ER was originally invented by the Swiss company Rego-Fix. The ESX is the same but manufactured by the Swiss Schaublin. Nowdays many companies make ER collets.

However, not all ER or ESX collets have the same precision. You have to know that these collets are made in different precision classes, with some price differences. Rego-Fix offers them as ER (standard) and ER-UP (Ultra-Precision). See their website:
http://www.rego-fix.com/collets/ercollet.html

With Schaublin, they offer ESX (standard) and EX (UP quality), see their website:
http://www.smsa.ch/pl-chk-esx-e.html

It is all a matter of how much runout is acceptable for what one needs the collets. Chris
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Many of the Tiawan copies of the larger Emco machines and their accessories ..ie. the FB2 mill base 6 speed mill heads
steady's and gear sets..toolposts andcollet chucks etc.
were at one time .."Orderable"? from "Posieden Lathes"
He tried to get an import business going,lots ofadds in HSM and on the internet.
I tried to get most of the larger accesories for my Maxi7 and V10P but... He just never seem to be able to get the import business worked out.
As far as I know "Posieden" is no longer in business.
I think he'd do better now ...since Emco people seem to be more active now....there are at least 4 forums that I know of that are specifically for maximat lathes...not to mention all the sites for the unimats and Compact series
mymaxi's are all original and the column on the 7 is shorter than the V10 ...the Maxi 7.7L.V10 combinedmanualactually has a general dimensions comparison listing all three machines and showing silhouettes.
I always used to feel like I was the only person who even knew what a Maximat was..hobby machining is much more sociable now.
Mike
cba

Post by cba »

The Taiwanese manufacturer of the FB-2 clones (once sold by Poseidon in the US) is:

T.F.S.Taiwan Fo Sun Machinery Corp.
aka
Taiwan Fu San Machinery Works

The 8 page TFS brochure I have shows both names, it was printed by TFS in 2000. The brochuse shows a large number of lathes from Unimat up to Maximat11 size, all very obviously derived from the well known Emco designs. The mill head is a clone of the FB2, and it is also available with an xy table. No idea if the factory is still alive and who would import their products.

I have the strong suspicion, that the Unimat 4 and Compact8 sold under the name EMCO in Europe, are indeed manufactured by TFS (the red/beige color is exactly the same). Chris

Chris