HF 44142 3-in 1

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

LarryB

HF 44142 3-in 1

Post by LarryB »

Hi- My name is Larry and I'm new to this board. I've browsed it quite a few times and gotten alot of great info on these types of machines.

I bought the HF 3-in-1 Multi-Purpose Machine (model# 44142) and it was delivered three days ago. From the experience of the members here; I'm just wondering if my experience w/HF is typical.

The machine (weghing about 700 pounds) was sent common-carrier to my house. So it was up to me and the driver to get it onto the ground and into the garage. Well, I'm in a wheelchair so you can imagine how much help I was! Luckily, they dropped it off around lunchtime, so a bunch of guys from work came over to help.

I was thrilled to finally have it! It looked kind of funny but I remember reading about the protective coatings all over them, so I left the issue alone and went back to work for the rest of the day. Well, when I got home I immediately went out and started working on it, cleaning and inspecting the variuos parts. I'll shorten this up by just listing what I found:

Parts missing:
drill-mill lock stock lever knob
tailstock pin
drill-mill spindle cover and screw
MT4 dead center
Tool holder wrench
8-10mm wrench
2 rivets from data plate
handwheel bushing
screwdriver
that's it, so-far.

other discrepancies:
wrong color (gray vs. red)
Paint chips everywhere
can only get the carriage to travel 2" before it binds
(should travel 18.1")
small amount of metal chips and turnings here and there
manual- photocopy(poor quality) written in (used)
I wonder if maybe it's reconditioned or just used. The paint on the
pulleys is still new so I just don't know.

Anyway, just my experience so far. I'm going to call them tomorrow
and see what they'll do for me.
Victor_R

Re: HF 44142 3-in 1

Post by Victor_R »

Hello Larry,

Welcome aboard. Well I have to say that reading this sort of thing raises my blood pressure. It sure sounds like they sold you a used machine. If it were me, I'd be on the horn tomorrow and demand that they take it back for no other reason than it being used. And the missing items only make it worse, although they could be supplied by HF afterward. The maching binding up is yet another reason to not accept it. Although this could be only an adjustment. Or it could be more serious like a chip caught under a way. All these imports need adjusting, tweaking and sprucing up to work right. I would guess that it's been returned before and they just shipped it hoping it would stick. Now you know why their nick-name is Horrible Freight.

And I really hope you paid with a credit card. This way you have some leverage. You can dispute it through the credit card company. Do not clean the machine anymore. Leave all the chips there and take pictures of it too, just in case you need them later. You paid their price and there is no reason to accept it like this. When you call, if you don't get satisfaction from the sales clerk, speak to a supervisor. If that doesn't help, say that you're filing a complaint with the department of consumer fraud since you didn't get what you paid for. (They don't like the "F" word.)

I've never had any dealings with HF other than the walk-in store. And I tend to knee jerk in my reactions as you can read here. You may not have a problem with them. Please keep us posted as to what happens. I'm sure many of us have bought mail order from them and probably have interesting stories, good and bad.

Good luck,
Victor
"The machines are gaining ground upon us; day by day we are becoming more subservient to them" ~ Samuel Butler (1863)
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Lest you get too anxious about this, Larry, a neighbor and friend buys lots of stuff from Harbor Freight. Lots of it comes with missing or broken parts. However, he's had good luck being nice, but firm and insistent -- and getting things fixed.

Decide what you want -- a full return, a full return and a new one sent, things fixed, things fixed and some money back, etc. Then go for it. If you like the basic design of the machine, and there are no major flaws like warped castings or mismachined locating surfaces, you might ask for all the missing parts and some significant $$ back. As noted earlier, the cheap price on these almost guarantees you need to do some tinkering to get things right.
LarryB

Post by LarryB »

I love the design of this machine; and I really have gotten some great deals on good merchandise through HF before; so the plan is to be courtious until it warrants otherwise. I did pay with a credit card (thank god) so I have that in my favor.

I really would like to have this model of machine sitting in my garage. I did a lot of research before choosing. This is the perfect size for me. I was prepared to disassemble, clean, and make any adjustments necessary but I feel this is too much.

Thanks guys

Larry
MikeMachinist

Post by MikeMachinist »

Larry -
I am sorry to hear about all the problems you are having. Like others, I have only purchased from the Harbor Freight stores. I hesitate to purchase anything from their catalog or online because I have found that the quality of the items can vary greatly and so I never purchase an item that I have not inspected before hand. In particular when purchasing machine tools, I think it is worth the expense of going to the showroom to put my hands on the machine I am interested so that I know exactly what I am in for.
As for some of your experiences, they are typical of any company you might purchase from. Specifically, any machine will generally be delivered on a pallet and dropped off at your location by the shipper. You will be responsible for uncrating, moving and installing the machine either yourself or hiring a machine installer to install it for you. I own a Grizzley 3 in 1 and it was delivered exactly as you experienced. It pays to think ahead a little bit so that you can be ready when the machine arrives. I have found it much easier to refuse shipment while the driver is still at my home, so I uncrate the equipment and inspect it immediately upon receipt.
It does sound like something out of the ordinary went wrong with your order, however, and that there was some mistake by HF and they inadvertantly (hopefullly) sent you a returned machine. I hope that they recognize their mistake and make you whole. I'm sure that you will have a great time with your machine once you get what you paid for. Hang in there and let us know what happens!
cba

Post by cba »

Larry, much of what you describe is normal for Chinese low cost machines. You have to take them apart, clean and correctly adjust everything. Sometimes some small modifications are necessary to make things slide smoothly. At these prices you cannot complain about casting sand or swarfs left in the machine, and also the paintwork reflects the price. If you put in some time & TLC, it will become a good machine. But have them deliver the missing parts. Chris