Grizzly 9729

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

HAMMERHEAD

Re: Grizzly 9729

Post by HAMMERHEAD »

How many of these are out there? I've had mine for a few years. I think it's great for a home shop, big enough for barrel work to boot. I have the change gear setup modified so no tools are needed to swap gears. The compound and millvice have captive T bolts for quick changeouts, with crossslide handwheel quick release. Put a spider on back of the headstock, converted the steadyrest to ballbearings. Been having lot of fun and learning too.

HEY JON,
I AM THINKING ABOUT THE SAME MACHINE FOR THE SAME PURPOSE. I AM INTERESTED IN DOING MY OWN BARRELS..
THREADING AND REAMING. DO YOU HAVE ANY ADDITIONAL COMMENTS
THANKS,
DAN [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]
FredR

Re: Grizzly 9729

Post by FredR »

How many of these are out there? I've had mine for a few years. I think it's great for a home shop, big enough for barrel work to boot. I have the change gear setup modified so no tools are needed to swap gears. The compound and millvice have captive T bolts for quick changeouts, with crossslide handwheel quick release. Put a spider on back of the headstock, converted the steadyrest to ballbearings. Been having lot of fun and learning too.

HEY JON,
I AM THINKING ABOUT THE SAME MACHINE FOR THE SAME PURPOSE. I AM INTERESTED IN DOING MY OWN BARRELS..
THREADING AND REAMING. DO YOU HAVE ANY ADDITIONAL COMMENTS
THANKS,
DAN [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]

DON"T !!!!

I bought one a year ago today. It does not have any kind of quality. Spend a little more of your money on a better quality machine. Seprate mill and lathe is the better way to go. If you want to do any kind of precsion, this isn't the way to go. If all you want to make chips, then yeah, but go with the g4015Z and save yourself $600.

Fred