Smithy Granite 1324 tool post

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Blueseas

Smithy Granite 1324 tool post

Post by Blueseas »

Thanks to many members here and the feed back I received I finally decided and bought the Smithy Granite 1324 cnc model. Even thought I’m not using the mill head and I have made a plate to cover the mounting hole, I’m still happy with my purchase. If anyone should be interested in purchasing the head for a reasonable offer I will part with it.

I am now looking around to find a quick change tool post but I’m not sure what I should be looking for as far as what will fit properly ? I’ve seen many tool post on Ebay new and used but I won’t bid till I’m certain I know what to buy ? Could anyone tell me what I should be looking for as to what will fit the excising tool post mount with out any modifications ? Are tool post made for particular brands and models or are the generic in nature ?

Thanks,
Marc
heavy_groover

Re: Smithy Granite 1324 tool post

Post by heavy_groover »

Hi again, and congrats on the new machine. Thanks for the reply about the supplier for plastics.
If you'd care to consider a DRO or other items in trade for your mill head, a antispammed address is at the bottom.

The various QCTPs are sized in different series, such as 100, 200 etc, which are also similarly sized to AXA, BXA etc.
They're often supplied with a center bolt and a thick square plate threaded as a nut for the center bolt, which the user will cut down to match the mounting location (a T-slot on some machines).
By looking at the Smithy picture of your model, it looks as though the 100 (or AXA) series would be a good choice.

The one shown here is a series 100 on a Smithy CB 1220XL
<http://www.tcis.net/%7Ekwag98/shop/1220tp.html>
<http://www.tcis.net/~kwag98/shop/metal_proj.html>

Mounting a QCTP on this type of compound should have the bushing/collar, and will require a longer center bolt.
Have a look at the wedge cutting tool adjusters to use with the original turret post.

The QCTP in the picture was purchased from Harbur Frate (hey, everybody else mis-spells it), but I suggest you to not get your QCTP from them (poor quality with really cheesy hardware, made in India).
Behind the QCTP you can see a 4-bolt base for the QCTP, which is a rigid mount when the compound isn't needed. It's welded 1/2" plates with a height of 2".

All of the reports I've read about the Phase II models have been positive. These are on sale at Enco for $90 for the piston set (for the 100 size), which consists of the post and 5 holders. Free shipping code this month for orders over $50 is FCNUFS.
The 200 size is $120 for the set, but I can't say if that would be the most suitable size for your machine, it would likely be too big.
Some will say the wedge type is a superior post, and the prices are higher.

You can go the other route with Aloris or other high-end and spend about 5 times as much for a complete set.

If you decide to get the Phase II set, notice that cut-off blades aren't included, although the holder for them is.
<http://www.use-enco.com>
<http://www.phase2plus.com/products.asp>

HG
heavy_groover AT yahoo DOT com
Blueseas

Post by Blueseas »

Thanks for the response and your offer, I'll be calling Enco tomorrow.

I'm interested in a trade for the mill head. Tell me more about your DRO and any other tooling you might want to trade ?
Will your DRO adapt to my machine easily, what is the value, age, ect. Do you have any pictures or a web site where I can view the DRO ?

I tried your address at the bottom of the page with out luck.,

Thanks,
Marc
heavy_groover

Post by heavy_groover »

I'd prefer to arrange information exchange off the list, to avoid taking advantage of the intended use of this forum.

I registered on this forum site tonite, so you can view my email address by clicking on my username. I try to minimize junk email by not using addresses in posted messages.

As a side note, registered users can send messages within the built-in message service.

HG