HF 3-in-1 machine

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Lamont

HF 3-in-1 machine

Post by Lamont »

Found 3-in-1 machine at HF. Anyone have comments? Would be used for model work in brass.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=39743
steamin10

Re: HF 3-in-1 machine

Post by steamin10 »

I hate to say this, because it may sound wrong, but thats a Hellava door stop for 400.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Lamont

Post by Lamont »

I appreciate your opinion. Won't even consider it now.
Thanks
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Pardon my sassy- ness, I am a tool snob of sorts. I have bought all sorts of tools and tooling, and you just get to know by look and feel what is quality , and what aint. Close freind of mine picked up a 3 in 1 machine that was returned to the store after minimal use, was half price. SUPER deal, right? After two months it was beside the wall on the floor. He gave up on using it. He is a machinist for US Steel Gary works. He has a collection of three Crapsman (Atlas) machines now.
These machines are mediochre hobby machines, I have run his and fought with them. I hate them, compared to mine. On cast iron wheels they just chattered constantly. A sign of too much flex and movement in the machine while at work.

I have outdated SouthBend lathes, all flat belt, that put them squarely in the hobby catagory, but very stout and stable platform to do nice work. Are there better? Sure. I cant afford them. I have a 6 Inch South Bend rear drive bench model that cost me 200 dollars to drag home. It is pristine, had to replace a broken back gear, was three spot toothless. Cost $30 bucks for used gear. This is themost common failure, on a SB. Dummy hits chuck in back gear and blows a tooth.
Search for other posts on me or Chicom stuff and you will see a running opinion that is pretty bad on their usefullness.

Under new tools in live steam heading w/ Will Jordan is a Long post on my equipment, picking off bargains and dragging tham home for more than 30 years. For some its a lifestyle.
Why does the caged bird sing? It doesnt know any better.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Lamont

Post by Lamont »

Don't mind the sassy-ness when I get help that saves me time and effort and money. Appreciate the information.
Thanks.
Rex B

Post by Rex B »

I'll 2nd the opinion old steel. I have a Logan 9" that I do most of my tinkering on. Just about to have a 10x36 Atlas ready to use also. But my shop is 37 miles from the house, so I have to plan ahead to go use my machines.
I'd like something small to use at the house, in the storage building that is my workplace until I get a garage built. Since most of my work will fit easily into the 7x10 envelope, I planned to buy a minilathe. With this 3-in1 machine I can get some light milling & drilling capability for the same money. Looks like a no-brainer to me.
My current plans are to sell the Atlas and buy one of these for the house, and a mill-drill or a minimill for the shop.

Different strokes....