Emco Maximat V10-P lathe/mill/drill

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

boxengine

Emco Maximat V10-P lathe/mill/drill

Post by boxengine »

Hi guys
I have recently pourchased a Maximat V10-P machine that has, sadly been brutalized by a previous owner. One of the links on the speed adjustment on the milling head was broken and I made a new one. The crank handle is missong and the chuck shudders like crazy when trying to cut something.
I have tried to check the head spindle bearings for play but can find none. Can anyone perhaps help/advise/whatever me with how-to-get-a-Maximat-back-to-work kinda info and advice? Where does one get parts and/or manuals?

Thanks guys
Fellow hobbyist
Nico :
willjordan

Re: Emco Maximat V10-P lathe/mill/drill

Post by willjordan »

Tony at lathes.co.uk has manuals on CD.

There has been a North American parts supplier, Bule Ridge something-or-other; check the older posts and you'll find a link. I sent them an inquiry once about some stuff for my V10 and never received a response.
grace & peace
will

[url=http://willjordan.com]Will's Web Pages[/url]
len

Post by len »

Nico,

Blue Ridge Machinery may still have some parts available. Give them a call.

http://www.blueridgemachinery.com/index.html

The chuck vibration you mention could be from a number of sources. I would look at the motor, drive belt, broken teeth on the head gears. If it is broken gear teeth, be prepared for an expensive fix.

There are two manuals for this machine: The Parts Manual and the Instruction Manual. Blue Ridge probably still has photocopies for sale. If you cant find them elsewhere, I'll send you a copy of mine for cost of reproduction and shipping (about $15 last time I did it).

Your best source of knowledge for the machine is here and user groups on Yahoo. The machine is very similar to the later Super 11 model, which I believe is still being made. I would surmise that many of the parts are interchangeable.

Post any specific problems on this forum and I'm sure you'll get some advice. Also, be sure to check the archives, as this machine has been discussed several times.

len
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Hi Nico
I have a V10p and also. mine is in good condition.
I also have all the manuals..Len is a great source of info and advice,I can give m,y 2cents worth on occassions.
There is a Maximat 11 users group and the 8X18 lathe group on Yahoo ...both of which are Emco specific.
I hope we can help you out.
Mike in N.Cal
len

Post by len »

In re-reading your post I realized that your vibration problem was in reference to the mill chuck, not the lathe (I think). If so, and you are having problems with vibration during a cut, make sure the carriage that rides on the column is tight. Look up an earlier post where I describe a mod I made to make it easier to tighten the top carriage pinch bolt. Vibration can also come from broken teeth in the gearbox, and/or too much backlash in the gear train.

I forgot to mention that I have the Operation Manual in electronic form, but not the Parts Manual. I can send it to you via eMail if you send me and address. It is in Word format, and will require about three transmissions, as most mailboxes can't handle the entire manual at once.

Mikey, thanks for the recommendation.

len
Boxengine

Post by Boxengine »

Hiya Len
Thanks very much. The vibration is more like a severe tool chatter and occurs on the headstock main chuck - not the milling head. Sorry if I was rather inexplicit here. I would really appreciate any literature on this fine machine and your offer to mail me the manual is much appreciated. My e-mail address: alpha@wcaccess.co.za
I have Word so will be able to read it. As for the comment on your earlier mail about the full manual in copy I would certainly be interested to obtain one at your $15.00 so please let me know if I can send the green stuff via Paypal or something. (I am located outside of the continental US)
Cheers and have a great weekend
Nico
ewapenaar

Post by ewapenaar »

Hi Len,

can you send me the operation manual as well? I have a 'Mentor" version and i would be very happy to have some documentation.

Please send it to e.wapenaar@fiberworld.nl

Thanks,

Erik
Axiswizard

Post by Axiswizard »

Gents:

I read the thread on the Maxi with great interest. I have an earlier ver
of this machine, the Compact. This has box ways and belt drive. I
converted it to CNC and use it for protos and onesie-twosie jobs. It's
a nice machine and lives up to the standards anyone might emply. I am
looking for another in fact. If anyone has one of these for sale or
knows of one, I do hope you'll let me know. I'm in Virginia, in fact not too
far from Blue Ridge Supply. BTW, one other source of info on these would
be Mason mechanical Labs in Salem VA. Their number is 540 387 0463. I have
seen both V10s and Compacts on their floor.

Hoyt McKagen
frankdeuce

Post by frankdeuce »

Hi Len,would your manuals be useful for my Maximat Mentor 10 lathe & can you mail them to me in Italy if i sent you the money? My email frank.deuce@live.ca
frank.deuce@live.ca
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

frankdeuce wrote:Hi Len,would your manuals be useful for my Maximat Mentor 10 lathe & can you mail them to me in Italy if i sent you the money? My email frank.deuce@live.ca
I am sorry to report that Len, one of our faithful readers, is no longer with us. He died some time ago.

Harold
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

Sad news Harold.
One can run ... but cannot hide ! :lol:

This old sales man from Emco in Germany, Otto Wolf may be helpful.
Wolf-Schwalbach@t-online.de

He does not understand English. So it will take some time for him to reply.
If you know someone that can translate for you then you will get a faster reply.

Also this people in England http://www.emcomachinetools.co.uk/Home/ ... fault.aspx
They may be helpful.
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa