Emco Maximat V10-P

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Boxengine

Emco Maximat V10-P

Post by Boxengine »

Hi guys.
Thanks for all those who gave me advice and pointers towards getting my machine beack to serviceable condition. Especially thanks to Len who sent me the manual.

I do however have a few questions and I hope that one or more fellow Maximat owners can assist me with:

1. I have partially eliminated the chuck chatter which was due to end play on the main spindle shaft. Now I need to know how far to adjust the collar without causing strain on the bearings. There is still very slight chatter mostly when the tool is retracted towards the tailstock so some play is still evident. But how does one test how far to go?

2. The wiring has been "modified" by some previous careless owner so that the motor will run only in one direction. Even when pushing the reverse switch it runs forward, but at a different speed than when the "forward" swith is operated (at the same lever selection) At the highest spindle speed settings the motor sounds as if it is running at half power (soft power)

Obviously, the wiring has gone "haywire" Anyone out there who has had the need to scratch back there or know enough about electricity to assist me?

Oh, yes, almost forgot. Mine is a single phase 220 Volts.

Thanks guys.

I would also wish everyone a very happy festive season.
Take care
Nico [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Mikey

Re: Emco Maximat V10-P

Post by Mikey »

Hi Nico
If I was you, I would take the opportunity to "dump" the whole Emco wiring/switches and motor, and go to a nice DC motor set up, with infinite variable speed.

I can't find the site right now ...but there was a guy who used a "leeson" 1hp. motor? anyhow it fitted in the original space ...I think he used theold Emco motor casing as a clamp to mount the new DC unit.......He mounted the controls in the old switch box..with a "kill" switch on a conduit coming forward ( like SB.does)....a very clean and effective modification,
and according to him a big improve-ment in utility.
I always told myself thats the way I'll go when my switches?or motor give out.....everyone says they do/even Tony's site
My motors are10yrs old and stillgoing strong.
Mikey
Boxengine

Post by Boxengine »

Thanks Mickey
I take note of your suggestion with great interest. However, at present I cannot get to the wiring area as the lathe is still in storage and stacked against a wall with the switch box right up against the hard place so this one will have to wait till my new workshop is completed. I have a very nice 1hp motor lying around and has not been used at all, but that one is also AC. Meanwhile I will look around to see what I can find at the scrapyards.

Thanks for the pointer. I also got the wiring diagram from Len and will look at possibly get the connections sorted out while considering the changes. Of course if a suitable DC motor is not available or too pricey one might have to stay with the Emco motor which still works fine.

Take care
Nico [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Too_Many_Tools

Post by Too_Many_Tools »

Hi,

If anyone comes across this Emco motor conversion, please post the location.
I would love to see how the modification was done.

Do you remember anything else about the mods?

TIA

TMT
len

Post by len »

I was a hair's breadth away from making the mod myself last week (see my post under General Discussion: http://www.chaski.com/ubb/showflat.php? ... o=&fpart=1) But now that my original motor is working fine, I'm not inclined to change it out just yet.

I have a DC motor and controller that I plan on using when (and if) I decide to go ahead with the mod. Or I may decide to use a three phase motor and controller, since these motors tend to be shorter than DC types due to lack of brush assembly.

The mod looks straightforward to me. Through a lucky coincidence, a 5/8" keyed shaft is almost the same size as the EMCO motor shaft, and I was able to slide the cog belt pulley onto a 5/8" shaft. The only mod here is that the EMCO key is narrower and shallower than a standard 3/6" key used on American motors, so you will have to file one down to fit--not much of a job.

The other item is adapting or making a mounting base for the new motor. I don't see this as much of a job either; just make an adaptor plate, or a custom base to fit the motor.

As for electrics, you would completely bypass the pushbutton switch assembly and remove the large capacitor from the electric box. I would probably also remove the switch assembly so I could fit the controller in the electric box. The mill would have to be controlled with a separate double-pole, double-throw switch, unless you keep the original one in there. There is no electrical connection between the lathe and mill motors; only a mechanical interlock to the red pushbutton. The mill motor uses the shorter capacitor, so you would have to keep it.

Added: On second thought, you could keep the original switch and use it to control the new motor ON/OFF and FOR/REV functions. All you would have to add is a speed pot somewhere.

What size of motor? I would use a 1 HP motor. To get the maximum speed that the lathe now has, you would need a 3400 RPM motor (actually, 2800 RPM, but these are rare). If you don't plan on running the lathe above 2000 RPM, then a 1750 RPM motor will work fine.

Of course you can use a higher-power motor, but a larger motor will be harder to fit. The EMCO motor is very compact (roughly 7" diameter and 7 1/2" long), so even a 1 HP motor may be hard to fit in the same space.

Hope this helps.

len

BTW, the reason I'm not rushing to change the motor is that I am contemplating making a variable speed controller for the original EMCO motor. Don't know if I will ever get to this, but it's a possibility. I'll keep you posted.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Did a fairly thorough search for that DCmotor/v10 site...
still can't find it ...it was about 2yrs back that I last saw it.

But..just FYI, I have a 2hp.120V.DC 5000rpm treadmill motor
that I picked up from surplus supply,set aside to do this someday.. complete with controller it was $89.99........It will easily fit in the original motor location,and the controler will easily fit in the box,if you toss out the original equipment.

For more money you could buy the motor and control from the asian minilathe...Chris@ the little machine shop.com could probably help out with info on Hp.and rpm etc....
This maybe a suitable unit ?
Mike.