Hey Len.....

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Mikey

Hey Len.....

Post by Mikey »

I just found this image of the new model milling heads..
And noticed how they use two cuts to isolate the "clamping" sectionof the casting....Maybe its another way of improving the "grip"
Emco mill clamp
len

Re: Hey Len.....

Post by len »

Mikey,

I wan't able to see the image since I'm not registered at the Yahoo groups (Actually, I don't remember my password). Here's an image of the mod I made.

Notice the speed handles; I use them wherever I can to simplify my life. They put those on the later mill heads also.

I'm glad I made the mod, but it's a poor design (Maybe that's why they changed it?). It's impossible to have a sliding fit, then clamp the piece without some movement taking place. If you adjust the gibs on the slider to a tight fit, then you hardly notice it. I have the same problem with my three-jaw chuck that has a split clamp mount to keep it from flying off when running in reverse. It will center differently depending on how tight you make the clamp. I don't believe you will find this type of design on first-class equipment, but EMCO likes to split and clamp everything that moves.

len

BTW, if you're wondering about the motor that you can barely see in the picture, it's a highly modified treadmill motor with a custom aluminum cooling sleeve fitted over it. It has variable speed control and has worked great.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Sorry the link didn't work for you....I thought it would just go thru on my password...Its in the link.........Damn Yahoo!

What they did to the newmill head ..Is make two cuts at 90degrees to the vertical cut..the speed clamp isabout 2" lower and moves a center piece of the casting that is free on three sides.......might work better? I dunno
len

Post by len »

Mikey,

Yeah, it sounds like a better arrangment, as the clamping pressure is centered and isolated on the slider block, not on one end as in the older design. I wish they would have gotten it right the first time. You expect to have to re-engineer Chinese stuff, but EMCO too?

len