Grizzly Industrial G9729 Combo Mill/Lathe

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Jon Leary

Re: Grizzly Industrial G9729 Combo Mill/Lathe

Post by Jon Leary »

I don't have my electronic camera here its in Au. with the wife. She won't be back til May. What I did on the change gears was make an axle for the idler gear that is threaded on the back end and a nut that fits in the back of the plate. the axle has a shoulder on it to tighten against and a cross drilled hole on the front end (3/16)which takes a allen wrench as a pin to hold the gear on, with a washer for a spacer. The allen wrench is long enough to be used to tighten or loosen the axle for adjustment. The screw that hold the plate in place was changed to a stud and a long 1/4 x 20 nut used to make a T nut by drilling a cross hole and pressing a pin through. To change gears just grab the allen wrench loosen the axle loosen the T nut swap gears and tighten back up. Can do it faster than I can type it for sure. I took picture a few years ago and listed them under G9729 in the metalworking .com dropbox I think in 2003. I haven't looked for them but they are probably still there.Jon
MhD

Post by MhD »

I found your pic's.
It looks like a nice mod to the stock way of changing gears but how does this arrangement allow reverse(lefthand) threads?
Jon Leary

Post by Jon Leary »

there is an unused slot in the change gear plate, I made an axle to mount in that slot and it takes the smallest change gear which reverses the lead screw. When the wife gets back with my camera I will take some photos amd post them. Jon
sailingamerican

Post by sailingamerican »

I have the same Grizzly 3 in 1 How do you gents like the machine. I have 5 Grizzly machines and have had shipped broken and bent parts on all of them. Not the quality I used 30 years ago. Their service has been great. I can't make heads or tails out of my instructions. My machine is about 3 years old. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img] My wife is an Aussies. I was wondering if yours is. Every time I go there I never want to come home. LOL. I worked for GM, Boeing Aircraft and the UN Navy as a machinest in the 60's and went into General contracting. A good choice for me but I love to tinker. Any thoughts on this machine?
Richard
FredR

Post by FredR »

I have the same Grizzly 3 in 1 How do you gents like the machine. I have 5 Grizzly machines and have had shipped broken and bent parts on all of them. Not the quality I used 30 years ago. Their service has been great. I can't make heads or tails out of my instructions. My machine is about 3 years old. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img] My wife is an Aussies. I was wondering if yours is. Every time I go there I never want to come home. LOL. I worked for GM, Boeing Aircraft and the UN Navy as a machinest in the 60's and went into General contracting. A good choice for me but I love to tinker. Any thoughts on this machine?
Richard

Go here :http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cf ... ber=G4015Z&
and click on MANUAL on the right. That is the manual for the G4015Z which is almost identical to ours. It explanes a lot more than when we got. I think you will be happier with it. It is atleast a suppliment [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smirk.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Fred
sailingamerican

Post by sailingamerican »

thanks for the heads up on the instructions. Richard
littletoes

Post by littletoes »

Can I ask a question? How accurate are the Grizzly's? What kind of work do they turn out? Thanks for any replies, it will help!