Emco-Maier?

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Buckrun

Emco-Maier?

Post by Buckrun »

Has anybody heard of Emco Maier? I am going to buy a lathe mill combo made by this company. I have been told it is not a 3 in one. It has a mill located in the middle and behind the lathe bed.

I am going to pick it up Saturday. When I get it home and cleaned up I can post a picture. I can also tell you the model and size. It looked to have a bed about 24"- 30" between centers.

Can anybody tell me anything about these machines? Are they quality machines?

Thanks
Steve
heavy_groover

Re: Emco-Maier?

Post by heavy_groover »

The Emco machines are regarded as being very good quality, well designed machines (not to be confused with eNco).

I haven't operated any Emco machinery, but I've read many positive comments concerning their quality and precision made parts.

http://www.emcomaier-usa.com/

I discovered that Blue Ridge offers parts, and some manuals for some of the Emco products, when I did a Goog search for "Emco Maier" (with quotes).

http://www.blueridgemachinery.com/emco_products.htm

As far as the type of machine is concerned, it may not be considered a 3in1 by some, but if a machine is built to turn, drill and mill, then it's often referred to as a 3in1, combination, multi-purpose, multi-function or other term.
I recall seeing a recent Chinese version of the Emco, that also had a mill column attached near the center of the lathe bed, but I don't remember the size/swing dimensions. The China version appeared to have a small sized mill table/cross slide.

HG
Buckrun

Post by Buckrun »

Thanks for the reply. I will be picking it up on Saturday. When I get it home I will take some pictures and post them. I will also post some model numbers.

I hope it will fit in the spot I have planned for it. I am quickly running out of room in my shop! A common problem I supose. :lol:

Steve
Buckrun

Post by Buckrun »

It is a Maximat V10P It is a Metric lathe.

Steve
magic9r

Post by magic9r »

If you're lucky the milling head will be a six speed FB-2, really nice gear head milling unit :D
Buckrun

Post by Buckrun »

Ths milling head is a emcomat 7-7l. It has 4 speeds. Here is picture of it. I haven't cleaned it up yet.

Steve
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Ugh! They let it rust. Shame on them. . . .
That is a NICE machine to work with, on small parts, beware that the milling head has plastic gears, that are easily destroyed if you attempt flycutting, and stick the tool. Good luck getting a replacement. A lost freind had one and it was a honey of a machine that produced two fine running 3/4 inch engines.
That Emco Maier will be the bane of others as you tell them how good that machine sounds, works, performs accurately, and they go buy a Chinee Whatever. . .
Too bad for them.
Whatever you paid, you have a fine machine. Dave.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

By the way, Kozo H. does all his engine plans in metric. What a great way to build an engine, as it was designed, with all the tiny metric bolts, and no noxious conversions, and approximations to make a part. Cool! Examine his books, and pick one, it is really a neat combo deal.
Bill Shields

Kozo

Post by Bill Shields »

In case you haven't looked closely...Kozo USES a Maximat 10 for his work.

They are very good machines as long as you don't push them too hard.
Buckrun

Post by Buckrun »

Thanks for the replies. I haven't checked back in a few days.

I have been busy cleaning up my shop to make room for all my new stuff. I made a great buy on all this stuff.

Here is a link to a list and pictures of the stuff.
http://www2.wcoil.com/~buckrun/Metal/

Steve
Jose Rivera

Re: Emco-Maier?

Post by Jose Rivera »

Buckrun wrote:Has anybody heard of Emco Maier? I am going to buy a lathe mill combo made by this company. I have been told it is not a 3 in one. It has a mill located in the middle and behind the lathe bed.

I am going to pick it up Saturday. When I get it home and cleaned up I can post a picture. I can also tell you the model and size. It looked to have a bed about 24"- 30" between centers.

Can anybody tell me anything about these machines? Are they quality machines?

Thanks
Steve
I would love to see it, what size is it 10" ?
Jose Rivera

Picture

Post by Jose Rivera »

You added a picture to a posting but I cannot see it.

Is it me ?

I can see other peoples's and my pictures OK.

I like to see you machine.