39743 3 in 1 HF

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

john339

39743 3 in 1 HF

Post by john339 »

Does anyone have this 3 in 1, Harbor Freight 39743?
It is their smallest 3 in 1 and I would be using it for plastic and aluminum model parts.
I tried the search but cannot find anyone talking about it on this forum.
I would like any comments about it.
I don't have much space and the price is about all I can afford since I will have to add bits and vices.
Thanks for any info.
John
QGolden

Post by QGolden »

John,
I do not have this particular model, but I thought these might interest you.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/tls/942738297.html

http://forums.makezine.com/comments.php ... ionID=2384
-hmmm, funny I never heard it do that before.....
mechanicalmagic

Post by mechanicalmagic »

John,
I believe the choice depends on the job. With proper planning, you might make all the things you desire.

More typically, the jobs begin to get more ambitious, and soon become too much for small machines.

Any mill/lathe is better than none.

Dave J.
Every day I ask myself, "What's the most fun thing to do today."
9x48 BP clone, 12x36 lathe, TIG, MIG, Gas, 3 in 1 sheetmetal.
QGolden

Post by QGolden »

Although I own a 3 in 1, if I were just starting out I would spend the money on a small mill, Even a used one. I procured the 3 in 1 with the intent of using it for a rougher because my CNC mill is uses 3/8 tooling and it takes too long to do the rough machining. The 3 in 1 with a ¾ end mill saves me time and since for me it is a rougher the precision is not a huge deal. Besides, and the price was one that I could not pass up, the tooling that came with it was worth more than I paid for the mill, HOWEVER, as soon as I score a good enough deal on Bridgeport or Bridgeport clone the 3 in 1 will go down the road.

For relatively equal money you could buy a used mill with a lot more capacity than any three in one. Particularly these days, A local company just went to Auction the other day that went out of business. Used Kurt Vices in like new condition, 200.00 each. Boxes of misc. collets by size for 20.00, Tooling, hold downs etc 20.00 a box. Machines, big and small, manual and CNC for fractions on the dollar. Drill presses, grinders, bench tools etc.

It is also possible to do some limited but some turning in a mill. I built a tool holder to mount to a way that allows a work piece to be clamped in the spindle, you then use the machine way to turn the work piece, basically converting the mill into a vertical lathe. It works with CNC mills as well and allows CNC precision/speed of a small turned part without a lathe. Not totally efficient, but it does work.

I think for most home projects you really need a mill.

my .02, your mileage may vary..... :-)
-hmmm, funny I never heard it do that before.....