text book

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

laskaboots

text book

Post by laskaboots »

can anyone recomend a good book on general machining basics? A text book or manual for us novices that would discuss tool selection, techniques, safety, set-up etc.? A machinist handbook is good for those who know what they are doing, but whithout an experienced instructor to help, I often feel that I am doing many things either wrong, or at least not the easiest way.
Jose Rivera

Book

Post by Jose Rivera »

I don't know (not have been looking) a book that concentrates only on machining.

I learn a large percentage of what I now know using McGraw Hill "Technology of Machine Tools"

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?ur ... ls&x=0&y=0
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
laskaboots

Post by laskaboots »

thanks, Jose. I've also been thinking about going to the Tech college bookstore, now that classes have started again. If they have an actual course book or something similar, that might be useful.
pockets

Post by pockets »

The Navy machinists manual is dang near idiot proof. I know, I have one. It's available, free download, on the www. Try Google Books.

Greg B.
When the man at the door said, "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms," I naturally assumed it was a delivery.....

"From my cold, dead hand!" C. Heston
rufusbooth

Post by rufusbooth »

It is not cheap, and not a book but you can rent it. I found both of these courses quite helpful. Granted it is based off larger machines than ours but the concepts are still valid. It covers basics and advanced concepts. Hope it helps you.

http://smartflix.com/store/video/574/Pr ... tical-Mill

http://smartflix.com/store/video/570/Pr ... urse-Lathe

P.S. if you are like me this site will absolutely suck the $ right out of your pocket, I want to rent all the videos...beware! ;-)

Cheers,
Rufus
kermit

standard machine operation books

Post by kermit »

1. Machine tool operations by William J. Patton from Reston Publishing Company, Inc. 1974

2. Machine Shop Practices Vol. 1 & 2 by K.H. Moltrecht from Industrial Press, Inc. 1981

Both are timeless.........all principals of lathe, milling operation.

KERMIT
tailshaft56

Post by tailshaft56 »

I'll second Kermits Pick # 2. # 1 isn't in my library. (yet) LOL
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I as a newbie like "Machine Tool Practices", by Kippe, Neely, Meyer and White. It covers all the basics, as far as I can see. It was intended as an "Industrial-Arts" textbook, and has self-test questions in each chapter. I have the 3rd edition (1987), and there's even an introductory section on CNC... later editions, if there are any, probably have more. I think I paid $10 for it, and price-per-pound that was cheaper than burger-meat.

If you can find them, the two volumes of "Machine Tool Operation", by Burghardt and Axelrod are interesting, but having been published in 1960 (at least mine were), they're more limited... no carbide info, no CNC of course. These apparently were used in the "Machinist's-Mate" training program in the Merchant Service. They have some cool "staged" pictures of young fellows doing really stupid things, in the "Safety" section. Oh, and they have directions on how to use a file, hammer, forge etc.
Pete in NJ
sch

Post by sch »

I believe the Burghardt is Q&A format, so looking things up
is a bit tedious. Does cover a lot of ground.
I like Stephen F Krar et al "Technology of Machine Tools"
It is a current text with the '04 selliing for $148 but an
amazon or abebooks search for older editions from the
'90s will turn up some for $10-30. Mine is late '90s and
it covers the vast majority of manual machining on the
lathe and mill.
dunc

British books

Post by dunc »

Special Interest Model Books (originally MAP, I believe) have a selection of books in the Workshop Practice (current number is around 40 titles) series aimed at the amateur. All address fundamentals and many include projects for useful tools. Subjects include lathe, mill, grinding toolbits, gearcutting, heat treating and more. North of the 49th (aka Canada) some are available from Busy Bee. While thin (maybe 130 pages max) they have a wealth of info that is in line with the kind of equipment that I use.

Usual disclaimer.
QGolden

Post by QGolden »

Laskaboots,
I have a copy of the US Army Machinist Courses. (Calculations, Milling Machine Course.) And Lathe Operations. Purty good stuff, chuck full of basics. If you want I can send them to you, PDF's, in the public domain, so no copyright issues.
-hmmm, funny I never heard it do that before.....