Smithy Granite mill head removal

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

gnsteam

Smithy Granite mill head removal

Post by gnsteam »

Has anyone ever removed the milling head from their smithy 3n1 machine? I am planning to move my Granite 1324 to a more suitable shop space in my basement. To lighten the load on the helpers and my back, I am concidering removing the milling head for the move. I have and will remove the cross slide table for the move as well. Any advice is much appriciated.

Fred
Fred
carlquib

Post by carlquib »

Yep, I have had the head off of my 1324 many times. Make sure you make witness marks so you can put the plate back in the same place it came from. Next carefully undo the screws that hold the bellows on. Then support the head and remove the 4 socket head cap screws. Then lift the head off. It isn't too hard but is a little heavy for one person. I use a small hoist to get it on and off. I would guess it weighs between 150 and 200 pounds. Be careful and lift straight up because is seems like there was an issue there. I haven't had to take mine off recently so I hope I remembered everything correctly.

-brian
gnsteam

1324 Milling head removal

Post by gnsteam »

Thanks for the reply Brian. I'm going to be moving my granite in a couple weeks. Any reduction in weight will make the job of going up a 7 step and then down a 14 step flight of stairs a little easier. My plan is to remove the cross slide carraige, tailstock and mill. Then use an appliance dolly to move the base of the machine up and down the stairs. Good thing I have a great group of friends to help me out.
Again thanks for the information.

Fred
Fred
jagwinn

Post by jagwinn »

gnsteam

How did the move go? Everyone O.K.? Machine still work?
Measure once, measure twice - outsource it.