new 2 forum - recomendation on purchase

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

mgaviator

new 2 forum - recomendation on purchase

Post by mgaviator »

H:

I am new to the forum and looking for some early advice. I helped put myself through college (years back) working as a machinist for Dahlstrom Machine Works (Chicago area). I ran a small milling machine and engine lathe as well as various grinders, broaching machines, etc. While I have not touched a lathe or mill in years, I am recently retired and restoring old cars as a hobby. I would like to set up a home shop and I am intrigued by the multi-function machines. What would you recommend for making and repairing small parts. Nothing high precision or large. New or used? I am thinking of a starting budget of a few thousand.

Dave
GeneT

Post by GeneT »

You mean the "3-in-1" machines? I started out with a Smithy 1324, and ended up buying 'up' - so it was more expensive in the long run. That said, there are folks who do decent work on them. Make sure you go for standard accessory sizes (R8 mill spindle, preferable MT3 lathe tailstock taper) as that will make your accessories cheaper and easier to find. If you're looking at Smithy, know that they are generally over-priced on accessories, so where it's not specific to the tool you can probably save a few bucks by going to Enco or MSC.

If you're in the right area you may be able to get some decent used standard machines (mill and lathe) for the same investment or less - and you'll doubtlessly be more happy that way.

GsT
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

You will always miss separate machines unless your budget or space does not allow.

I thought that a Maximat V10-) with the milling attachment was all I needed and found out that not only the mill is OK for soft metals or steel at very slow feed/depth cuts, but so many times I needed to use both.
Breaking a mill set-up is no fun.
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
61-63

Post by 61-63 »

I like you began restoring old cars when I retired in 2000. To support my habit I started restoring AFB carburetors for people and remanufacturing I guess you could say early 60s dual quad setups. Primarily to produce linkage components I bought one of the larger 3 in 1 machines Grizzly sells. In addition to milling on carburetor bodies and making linkage I have also done a few other jobs with the thing. It is a pretty good lathe but a so so milling machine in my opinion. You can mill steel with it but you have to take thin cuts and even then the head flexes. I have thought of making it into a bridge mill and may do so.

Before I bought my machine I came onto this board and posed the same question you just asked, and got the same answer which is to buy two machines if you have the room. I do not really have the room for two machines, and use what I have only sparingly, so will keep what I have, but if I ever needed to get into machining anywhere near seriously I would sell the 3 in 1 I have and buy two separate machines.

Whatever you buy you don't have to buy it/them new as there are plenty of good used machines out there, especially 3 in 1s. When I bought my 3 in 1 it was used in excellent shape, came with lots of tooling, and I got it all for 1/2 retail price of the machine alone. Just watch these boards and craigslist and one will pop up.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

All-in-one machines tend to do a mediocre job at everything. South Bend never made an all-in one.

You will curse your all in one when you need to mill something while something else is set up for turning.

Unless you only have a closet to work in, I would consider separate machines.

For a few thousand dollar budget, I think you can do pretty well. You can pick up a decent lathe (South Bend, Logan and others) for $1000-$1500. Horizontal mills go for cheap, and if you have one heavy enough, you can stick a Bridgeport head on the overam. If you are lucky, you might find a decent vertical for not a lot of money. Depends on what you need.

Just keep in mind what tooling comes with it. The tooling can cost as much as the machine, especially if it's oddball tooling (4PN arbors and collets anyone?).

Steve