Question for Jose on Maximat V10P

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

MikeA

Question for Jose on Maximat V10P

Post by MikeA »

Hello Jose,

I've been advised (by Pete H) you might have some advice on removing the carriage of my V10P - it needs to come off so I can clean out the accumulated swarf of decades and make sure there are no damaged parts that should be replaced/repaired.

I'm guessing the easiest is to take off the right leadscrew bearing and run the carriage off the right end of the ways.

Anything I need to watch out for?

Best,
Mike
Better is the enemy of good enough!
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

Fortunately I have not yet needed to disassemble anything on my lathe.

A while back a chaski member did a full dissemble to remove corrosion but I cannot remember who he was or if the post still there.

Sorry I cannot be of any help.

Do you have the Operation and Parts manuals ?
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
MikeA

Post by MikeA »

Hello Jose,

Thanks for the response!

Glad to hear you haven't had to do any substantial work on your machine - from the pictures you posted when you got it (August?) it looks like a beauty.

Yes, I do have copies I dl'ed from the emcoV10lathe forum but when printed out the print is not very legible.

I'm sure I'll figure it out!

Best,
Mike
Better is the enemy of good enough!
dly31

Post by dly31 »

Mike, I have no knowledge of your machine but can give you some general advice that may help. It is generally a good idea to remove the leadscrew entirely as otherwise it is easy to bend it or damage something in the apron. Before you get started, check your gear rack to see if it looks like the pinion can run completely off the end. If not you may have some difficulty getting the carriage off and on; not impossible but you may have to move the carriage some way to get the pinion disengaged. The carriage is likely to be pretty heavy, be prepared for that.

Don Young