HF or Bolton 3 in 1's Why Not?

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

larrye44

HF or Bolton 3 in 1's Why Not?

Post by larrye44 »

I don't intend to make model steam engines or build any precision parts. A good example is my lawn edger had a shaft with a "D" cut in it and it wore out. I could not find a replacement shaft anywhere (finally did after months and lots of frustration). I could have made one with just a little equipment. In a case like this wouldn't a HF or Bolton 3 in 1 be sufficient. It's sort of like buying a Cadillac and you only drive to town once a month. Sure it's a nicer ride than a used pickup, but if the budget won't permit anything more than a used pickup, what do you do? I'm not asking to get justification to buy the HF or Bolton; I'm asking because I don't understand why it would not be reasonable to go that way. If there is a reason why you guys think that the HF or Bolton is a no go for someone with needs like mine, please let me know. I'm also asking because I value your opinions, after all, you all are the experts. I have no experience with any of these, but I know that a $1500.00 machine will out perform a $500.00 machine any day. I’m covered up with hobbies and will probably never get real involved in precision work. Also, the bottom line is I’m retired and the fixed income has me limited. Thanks for taking the time to give me your opinion. Larry

Forgot to mention that I'm new to the forum and have been reading the past couple of days and can't wait to get started in a new experience. Thanks again everyone.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Larry,
Welcome to the forum.

As far as machine choices go, it's a tough call for anyone to second guess your needs, and that includes you. While you may not have an objective in mind, once you start to learn how things are made, you may well find you have an interest in some particular project. To that end, the best advice you can receive is to match your equipment with your objective(s).

Do keep one thing in mind. When you buy a machine that has more than one feature, you can expect that machine to be a compromise in almost all ways. It will be somewhat limited, and often set up to do the wrong thing that is required. That doesn't mean it won't serve you well, but be prepared to spend more time making setups, and expect that the machine may not handle all tasks as well as individual, dedicated machines.

Bottom line here is the choice is yours. Do what makes you comfortable, but be prepared to have a change of mind as you gain experience. That's what machining is all about. You do not learn machining by reading books, you do it by getting your hands dirty.

Good luck, no matter what your choice may be.

Harold
larrye44

Post by larrye44 »

Thanks Harold, it sounds like the HF or Bolton will be okay to get me started. As you say, something that I can learn on. And, I guess if I really get involved in it, I can sell the HF or Bolton and get individual machines. Would it be correct to say that they would do a good enough job for me to start learning the craft? Thanks again Harold.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

My opinion?

Yes. Anything you get will be acceptable.

Without trying to sound like I'm suggesting you're a fool, when you start out, you have little idea what a machine tool can do. As a result, you don't understand the differences in performance. You'll readily adjust to what ever condition you have, and that becomes your basis for comparison.

It's a little different for those of us that have worked in a commercial environment, where we're familiar with various machines. We get spoiled, and expect a given level of performance, because that's what we're used to.

I can't imagine, in my wildest dream (nightmare, really) having to go to a flat belt drive lathe that has no quick change, yet those that have them are often perfectly happy with them. Nothing wrong with that.

You'll come to realize that it's easy to make chips, but not so easy to make parts. Lots of mistakes are made in the learning curve, and they never really end, they just get fewer and farther between.

Harold
larrye44

Post by larrye44 »

Thanks Harold, you have eased my mind as far as what to buy. I feel better now about getting something like the HF just so I can get started.

My main hobby is woodworking and it was the same way. Lots of saw dust and scrap wood. I'm now at the point where I'm very confident in my woodworking skills and can make just about anything. But, I'm still learning and still make scraps from time to time. I have two close friends who are woodworkers so they helped me get the equipment I needed to get started.

You guys are the only machinist I know. I will probably be shooting a lot of questions your way once I get all set up. Thanks again for the great common sense answer to my question. Larry