G9729 Quick Change Tool Post ?? with pics

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

jj39

G9729 Quick Change Tool Post ?? with pics

Post by jj39 »

Hello,
does anyone know of a model of quick change that will work with my 9729
it is one of the upgrades that i would like to do to it .

Thanks for any replies
JJ
Last edited by jj39 on Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
sch

Post by sch »

The 100 or AXA series will work ok. You will need to make a T nut
and a base for it, as the existing base is not the right height (too tall)
for a QC tool post. You could cut down the one your have.
jj39

quick change

Post by jj39 »

thanks for the reply , i went ahead and bought a 300 , and it's large but i think i can make it work for me ,, ive kept on telling myself i think i need the 300 for the size that it list , when i upgrade to a bigger lathe i can use it then if needed .

jj39
jj39

300 Quick Change Tool Post

Post by jj39 »

i will share how i mounted the 300 to use on my G9729 Combo Lathe/Mill. i had the 16 1/2 swing in my head thinking that i needed to go to a larger size in a quick change tool post i asked and recieved a reply that a axa or 100 should work on my machine but that damn 16 1/2 swing was still in the back of my head so i looked at the 300 and 400 tool post knowing i was going to purchase one of them for my machine , the thing was i really should of called and asked some questions instead of just looking at pictures and buying off of the net .
but i'm pretty new ive bought both of my 3 in 1 machines in the last 5 months and i'm learning alot as i go .

so i purchased a 300 QCTP off of Ebay for 200.00
from this seller Qualitymachinetools

click here

so when i received it and layed it all out knowing i would have to machine the block to fit into my carrage i was highly enlighten to the fact that my slot in the carrage for the 9727 is a 3/8 Tslot and the bolt on the 300 is a 3/4 inch bolt so no way no how it's ever going to work for the carrage slot for the 9729
so what i did was take the 3/4 bolt for the QP and turn a slot in the bolt 3/8 so that it would slide into the carrage for the 9729 , so after mounting the QCTP it still set to low i only had a 3/8 bit to put in the tool post to get a idea of how it was going to line up and the tool post still set to low so i made some spacers 3X3 out of flat stock that i had 1/4 , 3/8, and 1/2 inch to raise the tool post up as needed , because this QC tool post can hold up to 5/8 bits
i ordered from Grizzly a G8787 DELUXE TOOL BIT SET W/INSERTS which is 5/8 7 pcs tool holding set .

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2010/Main/614

so i used the 3/8 spacer to mount the tool post and everything is working out very well , being pretty new i'm learning alot as i go i know in the future i will be replacing the 3 in 1 machine's to a engine lathe
and a mill so for now the 300 QCTP will work very well on the Grizzly and i will transfer it over the the new lathe when i make the move . here is some pictures of the QCTP incase anyone else wants to upgrade to a larger QCTP

jj39

dly31

Post by dly31 »

That looks like a good job of adapting the toolpost. It looks like you may have trouble getting it far enough away from the centerline to get a large diameter workpiece in the lathe, but maybe not.

Don Young
Mac

Re: G9729 Quick Change Tool Post ?? with pics

Post by Mac »

jj39 wrote:Hello,
does anyone know of a model of quick change that will work with my 9729
it is one of the upgrades that i would like to do to it .

Thanks for any replies
JJ
This article describes a homemade toolpost,altho not exactly quickchange, it can be easily made, is as accurate as you make it. I have used this style for years.
http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/projec ... lpost.html