endmill holders with metric draw thread

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

niedz

endmill holders with metric draw thread

Post by niedz »

howdy,
was curious if anyone knew of a source for a MT2 1/2" end mill holder- with metric draw threads.

i can find a couple places that have 3/8-16 draw threads, and grizzly has some MT2 holder in metric, every size but 1/2".

if it comes down to it a can make a new drawbar for my EMCO V10P milling head, but was hoping to keep all of my draw-in tools the same threading.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

My V10 came with a few mill-holders and a Schaublin collet holder. As far as I know, they all were OEM or "official" accessories. All of them are threaded 3/8"-16, with an adaptor to the metric drawbar. (10 x 1 or 1.25) The adaptors are listed as a standard item in the 1965 Edelstaal catalog for the Maximat. I've never seen any offered for sale.

They don't look all that hard to make, but there's one crucial point that someone made lately: Be VERY sure you make them with some kind of slot that can be reached from the bottom. That way, if the adaptor unscrews from the mill-holder rather than from the drawbar, you'll have a way to get the thing out of the spindle. (The adaptor is bigger than the spindle bore.)
Pete in NJ
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

When I had the mini-mill, all the extra MT2 collets I found were 3/8-16 thread. I just made a new drawbar out of some 3/8 all thread and a long nut. If having two drawbars is a pain, get extras and retire all the metric items.
Chris -
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
"Check all parts for proper condition before operation; if normal safety precautions are noticed carefully, this machine can provide you withstanding of accurate service."
niedz

Post by niedz »

pete thanks for the info...

but ive got a "green machine" V10, a later model than yours. i checked out my instruction/service manual, my milling head does not use an adapter inside the spindle. the drawbar threads directly into the tool holder, no adapter to worry about.

i have since realized that metric tool holders available from grizzly and others are not the same threading as my emco drawbar, which is an M10x2. so i figure i can just use a 3/8-16 tool, and just pick up a bolt at the hardware store, or make one, cut the thread on the lathe and mill some flats at the top. ill have to use the ejector pin to remove the tool. rather than just unscrewing the allen head drawbar that it cam equipped with.

if i could find a long allen head 3/8-16 bolt that would be perfect, then i wouldnt have to remove the top nut and use the ejector pin.
niedz

Re: endmill holders with metric draw thread

Post by niedz »

i posted these questions a while back, just thought id update the post.
i had a long M10 bolt around and i modified it.
so now i have a 'hybrid' drawbolt, 3/8-16 threads, with an 8mm allen head.

i cut off and the existing threads on the bolt, and drilled out the center.
then i turned down some 3/8-16 all thread and silver-brazed it into place.
i suppose i could have used JB weld, but i do a lot of brazing so it wasnt a big deal.
Rex

Re: endmill holders with metric draw thread

Post by Rex »

I needed a drawbar last month. I had a long bolt with the wrong thread, and a short boolt with the right (metric) thread. I cut the threads off both bolts.
But my torch was out of gas, as was the Mig, and I need to join the long bolt shank to the metric thread piece.

So I tried friction welding.
Chucked the shank in the lathe chuck, and chucked the threaded part in a tailstock chuck.
Set the lathe on the lowest speed, and used the tailstock feed to press the two parts flat against each other.
I understand if you do it right the joint will get white-hot, then you increase pressure to stick it.

I didn't get that far, but it certainly stuck, and stalled the lathe.
So far it hasn't come apart, and I have a very neat joint.