Smithy Milling Problem

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

spirit20

Smithy Milling Problem

Post by spirit20 »

Greetings all long time reader, first time caller. LOL I have a 1340I Smithy. When I go to do milling I will set the depth of the cut, & loch the spindle and have a problem. When I lock the spindle depth it changes the setting to a shallower cut. Any thought?

Help
Just a tinkerer in Michigan
www.chaski.com
Harold_V

Re: Smithy Milling Problem

Post by Harold_V »

I'm not familiar with your machine, but one of the causes of a drifting setting when clamping is a loose gib. It might be helpful to know how much movement you get. Is the change predictable? Does it change during the cut, or just when you apply the lock?

Harold
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

Spindle lock not tight enough?

If using a collet to hold the end-mill cutter maybe not tight enough and the tool is moving up the collet ?
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
spirit20

Post by spirit20 »

Than you both for your help. I think you got the answer Jose the 2 setscrews on the fine feed meconisms were loose. I did tighten them up but have not had the time to see if this corrects the problem. My wife has been very ill & sometimes the trip out to the sanctuary is limited, but I will try to check it out this week.
www.chaski.com
ScaleModeler1974

Post by ScaleModeler1974 »

I had a problem with my CB1220XL many years ago.......the mill head would shift towards the back of the machine by about 10 to 15 degrees.......I fixed the problem a few years later by removing the mill head altogether.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

WHAaaat! Fifteen degrees, or fiteen thousnaths?

coment reserved on Chinee 3-1.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
ScaleModeler1974

Post by ScaleModeler1974 »

You read it right........every time I went to mill something.....anything the mill head would kick back about 10 to 15 degrees.........only had 1 bolt to hold it in place.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

EEeewwww, IIccchhh!

(no further comment necessary)
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
spirit20

Post by spirit20 »

I also get the milling head to start to rotate when milling. I am fearful that if I crank down the 2 locks very hard it will crack the mill housing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mid Michigans only true Spirit
www.chaski.com
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I own a Smithy 1340, and had the same problem.

Here's a pic of the wrench I used when I was still milling with my 1340. Not my idea... I copied it from here: http://www.home-machine-shop.com/projects/Mill_Wrench/

You might look around that website.....he's pretty sharp on all things Smithy, and other things as well. Ned also has a Yahoo group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smithy-machines/

I cut the handle off the wrench that came with it, and welded an old broken 1/2" drive socket on the end. The ratchet is 15" long, and took care of the movement problem. I never used excessive force to tighten the head up, just a one hand pull was plenty. The stock Smithy wrench just isn't long enough.

Bill
Attachments
Smithy Mill Wrench.jpg
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Ya, I overdo the handle length on most things. That allows me to be lazy in my grip and not have to pull my shoulders out locking things down.

I made a hammer -wrench with a plastic head for bonkin the bolt down to drop the R-8 loose, and then spin the bolt out by hand. Handy to have one tool that doesnt walk away for another use.