What do you think of this Smithy 3-in-1

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

MoD_Eagle

What do you think of this Smithy 3-in-1

Post by MoD_Eagle »

Just found this on the local classifieds:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad ... =2&search=

I've been wanting to get into hobby-machining for a long time now but never had the guts to fork over the cash. I've heard good and bad things about 3 in 1's but thought for a beginner this might be a good start. What do you think of Smithy's? I had planned on getting a little Sherline set-up but for about the same price but I'd be way more limited on project size. I have no specific projects in mind right now but I like the idea of being able to make larger part. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Jose Rivera

Re: What do you think of this Smithy 3-in-1

Post by Jose Rivera »

No comparing Sherline to a Smithy.

Sherline is for very small machining, the Smithy can hold it's own with lathes 10" swing or more.
Fully tooled as this one is a plus!

Check the price for a new one not tooled.

As for learning, the Sherline would be far less dangerous, the only advantage I can see.
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

LWIW - I bought a 9x20 HF lathe. It's a good piece, with the typical issues. I had looked at the 12x36 unit and thought "that's big, better learn what I'm doing first on a smaller unit". So I bought the smaller unit. And, I found out - still a Class A Nube by the way - pretty quick that these things are danged handy and decently fun to boot. I should have bought the larger unit, because once over the fear of being in over my head I knew I could make use of more capacity. So if you asked me, I say get the bigger unit. You might be a little spooked by all the stuff, but you'll get past that pretty quick I think. With all that tooling, it's a decent deal. I see easily $1K worth of tooling in the pile.
Chris -
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
"Check all parts for proper condition before operation; if normal safety precautions are noticed carefully, this machine can provide you withstanding of accurate service."
uziforme

Post by uziforme »

Not a smoking great deal, but good enough if you are looking for a unit anyway. I have the CB12something XL and it has done most all gun work I have had to do.
woyaodixingfu

Post by woyaodixingfu »

These ideas for your are very good
kermit

Post by kermit »

I have a Smithy 1220 LTD. When you get your lathe/mill combo, bigger is better. Also, the power cross feed on my LTD is what sold me. So, if your looking for a 3 in 1, get a big one, and one with the power cross feed. Run a search on this forum, a lot of talk on the Smithys.
knapper

Post by knapper »

Is anyone on line??

I am the proud owner of the Smithy, IMAX 1340 and love it.. Just learning how to turn it on
and haven't even turned the mill part on yet... Mianly because I don't have the faintest idea of what I am doing.. :roll:

Knapper
Knapper
Torch

Post by Torch »

knapper wrote:Is anyone on line??

I am the proud owner of the Smithy, IMAX 1340 and love it.. Just learning how to turn it on
and haven't even turned the mill part on yet... Mianly because I don't have the faintest idea of what I am doing.. :roll:
I have a similar size machine and have found it to be quite capable so far. Better than me, anyway. The 3-in-1 format is ideal for someone with big plans but limited space, and I can spend hours out in the garage making pails of chips out of metal stock. Some complain about the necessity of changing over between milling and lathe operations, but if the job is planned out in advance, it's no big deal for me. Of course, that's likely because I'm a hobbyist making one-off parts rather than a production shop trying to churn out multiple copies -- I can see were it could become an issue in that environment.

Enjoy your new toy!