Hello from a new member and question on HF 5980

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

49ford8n

Hello from a new member and question on HF 5980

Post by 49ford8n »

Hello from Queen Creek AZ.

I am currently a NAPA parts delivery driver as it is the only job I could find after a year and a half out of work. I was in the Navy from 1970 to 1978 as an electronics tech and after that 23 years with Motorola as an Equipment Engineering Tech. Also drove truck for 6 years. I do allot of work on 4X4's and other equipment so picked up this machine to help me out.

I picked up a lightly used 5980 that looks like it has been stored ( inside thankfully ) for most of it's 10 year life. The spindles did not move as free as I would like so decided to break it down and relube. All the grease had turned hard as I suspected. I was able to break down the lathe and the mill feed section OK but I can't figure out how to remove the spline housing from the top to get to the bearings, clip and round nut underneath. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob
'No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.'

- Ronald Reagan
Steve_in_Mich

Re: Hello from a new member and question on HF 5980

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

Bob, sorry I can't help you with the 5980, however, welcome to the Home Machinist.

My 49 Ford 8n
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/c ... unted3.jpg
Last edited by Steve_in_Mich on Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.
49ford8n

Re: Hello from a new member and question on HF 5980

Post by 49ford8n »

Here is mine.
Attachments
49Ford8n.jpg
'No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.'

- Ronald Reagan