B2229/G9729 Power-on CB Tripping

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

hammermill

Re: B2229/G9729 Power-on CB Tripping

Post by hammermill »

deffiently look for a loose connection, tighten everything, but look hard at the stop button including double checking contacts with a ohm meter
it should be normally closed. if not it will cause the power safety relay to drop out and not latch in.
ealanm

Post by ealanm »

Just getting back to this thread after a rather long absence!

Unfortunately, it has been long enough that I can no longer remember everything I did to solve this problem, but it is no longer a problem. I went so far as to get a new selector switch, but I never installed it and ended up giving it to a friend who has the same machine, so that obviously wasn't it. It may be as simple as a loose connection that I tightened in the process of investigating the problem.

One thing that has definitely helped a lot is that I finally finished wiring my shop and now have the machine on its own 15A circuit, with heavier gauge wires (12 ga?). I can't really see how that could make a difference to the problem I described above, but it has stopped the problem of blowing the CB in the panel, which sometimes used to happen when it was on a shared circuit.

Tedd
Torch

Post by Torch »

It could be the shop wiring. An AC motor likes to run at it's rated speed. If the voltage is low (loose wiring, long runs of undersized wire, etc.) it will try to draw more than it's rated current to keep the speed up. Feeding it through it's own circuit, having nice clean, tight connections and oversizing the wiring slightly (as you did) will keep voltage losses to a minimum so it doesn't need to draw as much current to maintain the speed.
RStocker

Post by RStocker »

I have the Grizzly 9729. I dont' think your model has the micro switches.

I am an architect and contractor. I think your problem is that you are not getting enough amp because of the small extention cord. You also could have a bad breaker. I would wire it direct and if you still have a problem change the breaker with on of the other ones. Only doing it once in a while tells me you have a bad breaker or cord. The cord should be a number 10 wire. 12 is ok but I don't know how far you are form your breaker. You might have a drop if it is a long run. Is your breaker the right amps? 5 amps under can make it blow
ken572

Post by ken572 »

ealanm,

Did you figure out how to remedy your power problem :?:

Do we get an update :?: :D

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
shipto

Post by shipto »

I had a similar problem with a drill at one time and it was the relay for the nvr. The terminals of the relay had a build up of carbon which stopped them from holding the voltage well enough to keep the coil live.
might be worth a look.

edit:just noticed the date of the op so ignore what I said :lol:
ken572

Post by ken572 »

shipto wrote:Edit:just noticed the date of the op so ignore what I said :lol:
No Problem..

I just was wondering if he solved his problem.

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.