Deep hole drilling

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

snowkilts

Deep hole drilling

Post by snowkilts »

Anyone know of some good resources for deep-hole drilling with a 3-in-1?

I'm trying to put a 7/8" hole through a 6" long piece of 1-1/2 delrin, and getting the hole off-center at the exit by .030" - .050".

Thanks,

Jon
tarzan

Re: Deep hole drilling

Post by tarzan »

It is hard to give advice on this without knowing your current process.
I'll tell you how I would do it though.
I would use a lathe and face, center drill, and drill one end just past half way through with a drill about .03 to .06 smaller than the finish size.Then flip the part around and repeat this process.
If you are using a drill with the web equal on both sides, then your drill should drill pretty straight.If your drill is not ground even or is not sharp,It will be difficult.
Also, plastic heats up easy, so if you can use a coolant, that will help greatly.Also slow speed and a heavy feed, along with a clearing peck every couple hundred thousands, will help keep things cooler.
After you have a through hole all the way through, then run your finish drill or reamer through it.
snowkilts

Post by snowkilts »

Thanks for the response, I will try drilling half way and then flipping on my next part. I was trying to go all the way through.

I have the work in a chuck turning at the slowest speed available. I've been center drilling (but not facing -- I'll do that next time as well). I've been putting the drill in the tailstock and feeding with the quill. I pull it out every half inch or so to clear the chips. This is laborious but it's all I have. No coolant available but I put a squirt of tap magic in when I pull the drill out. Not sure if this helps.

I have tried both a spade and twist drill. I got much better results with the spade drill despite its relative lack of rigidity, and the fact that the shaft on my drill is slightly bent. Much less heat with the spade drill as well.

Cheers,

Jon
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Facing is important. If the face has any deflection, it translates to the drill, shifting it slightly off center, which, in turn, steers the drills opposite the high side of the face. If you prefer to drill without facing, face the area in which the drill makes contacts so it doesn't influence the drill as it starts the hole.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

The only way I know is as follow:

1) Drill the hole some 1/32 smaller diameter an inch or so deep. Then using a boring bar bore the hole some .001" bigger than the drill size.
Doing this you'll have a guide area that will keep the drill straight and from wondering. Some times even doing this will end up with some run-out at the other end.
This will give you a true diameter as the guide keeping wondering at a minimum.

2) If the hole does not need to be perfectly straight, as already mentioned, drill half ways and turn around to finish meeting at the center (more or less) this will split any run-out and put it at the center of the length, leaving both end with a concentric condition.
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa