G0516 Pulley/Belt question

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

ken572

Re: G0516 Pulley/Belt question

Post by ken572 »

kluzfranjo wrote:ken572, thank you for the suggestion.

I will look into that - I don't see a problem, as there is plenty space inside.

However, I was hoping for a quicker/easier solution, this is why I was looking for slightly larger belt.
Contrary to my intuition, 32 is too long, even though the travel of the tensioner is quite long - I was not expecting that 32 would be so long that the travel would not cover that.

For a new tensioner, I need to look into available parts or make one myself.
Hello :!: kluzfranjo :D

(I Almost Forgot) :lol:

Welcome to The Home Machinist! 8)

As you have found out, we have members
that really enjoy helping each other, and
sharing there skill’s and or knowledge,as
well as there project’s, idea’s, and more.

In order for this to happen smoothly there
are a few things that are NEEDED:

1)Correct brand names of what ever
you are asking and/or talking about.

2)Correct Serial numbers, Model No,
Date, and or Country of Manufacturer,
Size’s, Colors, Clear Picture’s of the item,
and or it’s data plates, and anything else
you can supply for the members to work
with.

3)Do you already have, or need
Operator and Parts, Manual’s :?:

4) Making sure that you put your
WORLDLY LOCATION in your
PROFILE so it show’s up to the left
of all of your POST’S under your name.
VERY HELPFUL, to member’s trying
to assist you.

5) It is always nice to THANK the members
that spend time HELPING YOU and when
your problem is solved, it’s nice to UPDATE
and share your FIX / REMEDY to help the
next member, to read and learn from.

NOTE: CLEAR PICTURE’S
(ARE ALWAYS)
VERY HELPFUL.

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
pete

Re: G0516 Pulley/Belt question

Post by pete »

I found when I owned the same lathe that the supplied belt was total garbage anyway. It had a very poor splice where they joined it at the manufacturers and it made a large thump every time that splice started onto either pulley and onto the tensioner. Mine was labeled as being from the Wrong Fu Company in China. It was aptly named in my opinion. Every single V belt I've gotten on Chinese built equipment has been worthless. Can't remember if I replaced it with a metric belt or not, but I did replace it with a good quality Gates belt that was green in colour. It made an instant change in just how smooth the lathe operated and to the surface finishes I was getting.

Like most parts in any drive train, buying on price alone is just wasted money and a real waste of time since you'll finally end up having to buy a good quality belt anyway's. You have to do the exact opposite of cheap and buy the best quality you can find. For the length of time a high quality belt will last, they cost pennies per month. Depending on the exact length of belt you end up with, I found that tensioner works even better riding on the top surface of the belt and pushing it towards the bottom of the lathe.

Having a belt that's that tight that you almost can't get it off the pulley's would be real hard on both your motor bearings and put some major wear and tear on the rear spindle bearing. Replacing those parts and the time involved would buy a whole lotta real expensive belts I think.

Take your lathes belt with you when you go to find a new one, they can properly measure what you have and then figure out if it's metric, (more than likely) or imperial.

Pete