G0516 Pulley/Belt question

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Longstride

G0516 Pulley/Belt question

Post by Longstride »

Hello, I'm new to this forum but have been reading it almost non-stop since I found it last week! Have found many answers to questions I had, but one question I haven't been able to find an answer to...

I recently purchased a Grizzly G0516 which came with a 31" belt. It was all I could do to get it in place on the pulleys and now I can't get it off to change speeds. The motor is rigidly mounted, no hinge, so how does it get out of the way to provide slack? Am I just being dense here, or did they send me a short belt? Should I go with my instinct, cut the belt and replace it with a 32 or33 inch belt?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
hammermill

Re: G0516 Pulley/Belt question

Post by hammermill »

the belt tensioner is right above the motor between the coged pulley and the v pulley
losten it and all should work out also consider the v belt rides over the top of the tensioner and not under it
Longstride

Post by Longstride »

Thank you for your reply. I can see the belt tensioner and it is not the issue. I have it completely loosened and not even in contact with the belt, yet I can't get the belt off the pulleys or into another groove.

After close examinaton, seeing as there is no way to move the motor to provide slack, I am convinced the belt that came with the machine is just a little too short. Perhaps someone grabbed one out of the wrong bin or something.... No matter. I've decided to replace it.

Has anyone measured the circumference of the belt on their own G0516?
Mac

Post by Mac »

I think the belt on mine is also too short.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Hey Guy's,

(METRIC)
See attached, maybe it will help.

Ken. :)
G0516.jpg
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
kluzfranjo

Post by kluzfranjo »

Sorry to revoke the old thread, but I recently experienced exactly the same problem. The belt is already so tight as-shipped that belt tensioner is not even needed. I find it impossible to take the belt off without damaging it.
Did anyone have luck with replacing this belt with 32 or 33" as suggested by Longstride?
I researched it a bit and found that the belt is of 3L type/profile. I have found this: "Gates TruFlex - FHP V-Belt" which is 3L, 32" (33" also available), for a very reasonable price at o'reilly. Would this work, or do I need a stronger belt that this? There are stronger (and more expensive) versions of 3L by the same manufacturer, but I am not sure what would be strong enough for the machine. The belt desription says "Gates Truflex(R) V-Belts are recommended for lower horse-power lawn and garden equipment, heating and home air conditioning drives, light-duty appliances, shop and miscellaneous fractional horsepower applications."
But this is vague - if I remember correctly, G0516 is 3/4HP motor - would that be on par with 'lower horse-power lawn and garden equipment etc'?
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

My money says it will probably serve perfectly well. Unless you're taking some serious cuts, it's unlikely you'll be using much of the 3/4 horse at your disposal. And, should the belt fail, you'll know to step up to the next strongest. Failure of the belt would most likely be nothing more than an inconvenience.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
kluzfranjo

Post by kluzfranjo »

I wanted to update everyone interested in this topic - today I bought both 32 and 33" belts, as suggested. Both of them are now too long - the belt tensioner does not have enough travel to tighten them. I removed the original 31" after applying great force (scary), and reinstalled it for slow rpm. But it still does not feel right. The belt tensioner is not even needed for 31", but 32" is already too long. It looks like 31.5" would be the right length.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Converting 31.5" to metric, it is a suspicious 80 cm! I bet you need a metric belt for this machine.

If NASA could lose a Mars spacecraft because of failure to properly convert SAE to Metric, it makes sense that Grizzly might have made a similar mistake! A little less serious, though...
~RN
kluzfranjo

Post by kluzfranjo »

NP317, great insight, thanks!

I will look into metric belts.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

kluzfranjo wrote:NP317, great insight, thanks!

I will look into metric belts.
Good Morning :!: kluzfranjo :D

How about making and installing a larger
diameter idler pulley on the tensioner plate
to allow using the 32 inch belt :?: :idea:

It looks like there is more then enough
clearance to do that in the above picture. :wink:

just a thought. :roll:

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
kluzfranjo

Post by kluzfranjo »

ken572, thank you for the suggestion.

I will look into that - I don't see a problem, as there is plenty space inside.

However, I was hoping for a quicker/easier solution, this is why I was looking for slightly larger belt.
Contrary to my intuition, 32 is too long, even though the travel of the tensioner is quite long - I was not expecting that 32 would be so long that the travel would not cover that.

For a new tensioner, I need to look into available parts or make one myself.