MaxiMat7's milling head seized on column

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

wind50cal

MaxiMat7's milling head seized on column

Post by wind50cal »

Hello everyone from a newbie hear!

Just recently acquired a nice MaxiMat7. Machine is tight with low hours, problem is it wasn't in a climnate controlled enviroment. (Owner became ill and now deceased) anyway, exposed metal on the unit is slightly rusted (surface type). I have gotten everything cleaned and operable except the milling column. The milling unit is stuck at the top of its column and will not budge. I have been soaking it for the last couple days in penetrant. The cross bolt is loose, and I have removed the top three hex screws and removed the lead screw. I have taken a rubber mallet and tapped the milling head to see if it would break free (not!). Lastly, I took a puller and tried pulling the milling head up, ( I didn't exert too much force) I do not want to cause any damage to the unit. Anyone have a solution they would like to share? Thanks-Wind
PeteH

Re: MaxiMat7's milling head seized on column

Post by PeteH »

Sounds like you're doing all the right things.

Penetrant takes a while to get into the joint, and that's a pretty deep joint. You might help it along by cleaning the angle where the head meets the column, with a soft (brass/bronze) wire brush, just enough to get the rust off. That'll help it penetrate.

You also might try GENTLY heating the outside of the part of the milling head that goes around the column, with a heat-gun or hair-dryer. Warm it up, put some snake-oil on it, leave it for a few hours, repeat. Don't cook it... remember the gears are plastic.

Patience often is the key.
Pete in NJ
wind50cal

Post by wind50cal »

Pete,
The heat is a good idea. Now...is there any "mechanical" reason for me to not put more pressure on a puller? I just didn't know if there were any more items to loosen up other than the one bolt on the bottom back left of the unit? It looked to me, once that was loosened and the top guide/lead screw holder was off that the heas should move freely on the column! Am I assuming correctly here?

Thanks for your help-Wind
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I'm not sure. I have a V10, which is similar but maybe not identical. On mine, once the pinchbolt (on the back, going through that slit) is loosened, the head should move.

I don't see why reasonable pressure from a puller would damage anything, except you'd have to protect the top of the column. And the housing on mine is cast iron (checked with a magnet just now, in fact) so it might be brittle, especially on the corners.
Pete in NJ
wind50cal

Post by wind50cal »

Pete,

That is what I was looking for. From everything I have read the milling unit is the same on both units. I think I will build a full collar support for pulling. Heat,spray, tap,spray, pull,spray, tap, PRAY!, tap, ect.

I will keep everyone amused with my projects when I get her up and going!

Thanks-Wind
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Wind,

You might want to check your local rental store for a small
vibrator you could clamp on to the frozen component, which
would help to loosen it up. :wink:

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Try a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone. It's amazing. If you are using a lot of it, you probably want to do it outside or keep the windows open, as acetone is more volatile than a woman scorned.
ken572 wrote:You might want to check your local rental store for a small
vibrator you could clamp on to the frozen component, which
would help to loosen it up.
Now THAT's a neat idea. You could probably bolt a small motor to it with an eccentric hub on the shaft.

Steve
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I like ATF for stuff that's sticky-but-moving; for really seized things I like Kroil. Penetrates like crazy. Smells nice, too (to me, anyway).
Pete in NJ
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

PeteH wrote:Smells nice, too (to me, anyway).
Smells like.... Victory!

Steve
wind50cal

Post by wind50cal »

Guys!

Thanks for all of the ideas. At this time, the column sits with pressure from the puller applied. I used a healthy dose of Kroil on the mating surfaces along with scratching the corrosion with a pick where they are in contact of the mill and column. I will use the ATF and Acetone tomorrow(Couldn't get up my nerve today, that "Womans Scorn" scared me! :-) I'm hoping that the combination of pressure and penetrant will force it to give up its hold. The vibration is something I hadn't considered. I will put that into play tomorrow as well. I will advise "when" it gives....have beer, champagne, boubon, or perier prepared!

Thanks again! - Wind
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

well if those are the benefits i could come over and help you wait??