HF 44142 Newb Question - Need help

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

RetroWoody

Re: HF 44142 Newb Question - Need help

Post by RetroWoody »

I have a new bottle of Valvoline Gear Lube on deck and ready to go.

I taped a piece of cardboard just below the drain to channel the fluid out to a container. Is there any better way of doing it?

I thought about putting a smally fitting with a valve that I could put a tube onto to drain it, but I don't think there is space for a big enough fitting. I guess I could suction it out, but that brings new problems into play.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

RetroWoody wrote:I have a new bottle of Valvoline Gear Lube on deck and ready to go.

I taped a piece of cardboard just below the drain to channel the fluid out to a container. Is there any better way of doing it?

I thought about putting a smally fitting with a valve that I could put a tube onto to
drain it, but I don't think there is space for a big enough fitting. I guess I could suction it out, but that brings new problems into play.
You might like this MOD.
HF44142-OIL-Drain-Mod.jpg
Ken.
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
RetroWoody

Post by RetroWoody »

That's what I'm talking about! I have to run to the hardware store when I get that plug out.

Thanks, Ken!
ken572

Post by ken572 »

RetroWoody wrote:That's what I'm talking about! I have to run to the hardware store when I get that plug out.

Thanks, Ken!
RetroWoody,

Did you ever get your drain hooked up :?:

How about a picture.. :wink:

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
RetroWoody

Post by RetroWoody »

Sorry, I got busy making chips and never came back to the thread.

No, I never put my plug and hose in. I am ready to change my lube now, so I think I will be doing so soon. When I do, I WILL post pictures.

You know, I also never got my lathe section up and running either. I have only been milling. I have several other issues to address on this machine, including my hand crank dials slipping around screwing up my dimensions. :roll: I do it all by eye and digital calipers, just like my early days.

I will post more on that when I finish my last project and do some maintenance. (I don't want to mess up the setup!)