Help with new switch for chinese 3-1.

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Playtoy_18

Help with new switch for chinese 3-1.

Post by Playtoy_18 »

Tried to turn on the lathe the other night but switch would not click/seat in either forward or reverse position.
I found a melted wire connector and repaired but still nothing.
Purchased a new switch from littlemachineshop.com,after an hour searching was the only one I could find.
Rating is the same,but it has one less row of contacts(3 contacts per row) than my original.
The part number seems to reflect this (original= HZ10-10p/4 new=HZ10-10p/3)
I have been unable to find a diagram corresponding with what it looks like i'm working with,and don't fully understand they way these switch polarity.
Can I use this switch or do I need to track down a different one?

If somebody has a diagram or can assist in the wiring or where I can get a correct replacement F/O/R switch I would very much appreciate it.
I'm posting several pictures that will hopefully help in identifying the switch,lathe or proper diagram.
Two wires appeared to have been unused/disconnected,these could be to the light that does not work as i've never investigated why it doesn't.

Photobucket is giving me fits,so here is an old pic of the machine and maybe someone has an idea or diagram.
More detailed pics of old switch,wiring and new switch to follow.

Torch

Re: Help with new switch for chinese 3-1.

Post by Torch »

You mean the rotary switch? Maybe the PDF of the brochure in this archive will help.
Playtoy_18

Post by Playtoy_18 »

Here's the new switch

Old switch and wiring
digitizer101

Post by digitizer101 »

Just bumping this to see if this has ever been answered I have the exact same old switch and the exact same new switch

Thanks
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Perhaps a reader can answer the question, but the OP has not made an appearance on this board since 2013. We have no idea how he solved his problem at this point.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
digitizer101

Post by digitizer101 »

thanks I will keep watching to see if anyone has an answer.
digitizer101

Post by digitizer101 »

Just to update this post I sent an email to Grizzly and they got me a correct replacement part number and a schematic for replacing my switch.

I thought I would share just in case anyone else should run across this post in the future.

http://www.grizzly.com/parts/PSW03?utm_campaign=zPage

I have not received the switch yet. I just placed the order and will update after installed.

Thanks
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

This is good to know. My ShopMaster switch has acted up on occasion and it's probably the same.

I've added limit (reed) switches to my table that work with a "contactor" and sometimes when I'm working on something, I leave the power switch in the on position and shut it off at the contactor to save the switch.

Thanks
digitizer101

Post by digitizer101 »

Well everything went perfect. I had to make some very simple modifications to the face plate to accept the screws from the new switch. I drilled 4 holes in the metal plate. I also had to trace the wires back to the motor to see which wire was which but it didn't take to long.

A big thanks to the rep at Grizzly that helped with the part and the schematic.

If anyone has any questions just ask. I will check back on this post on occasion.
golfpin

Post by golfpin »

A little more help please have similar problem but RSA wiring code colors do not match, have tried ISO does not help your posted diag shows a yellow from motor?, is this neutral, mine appears to be black are they the same? my colours coming from motor are 2 black 1 ground/earth [Green and yellow internatioanl] 1 red [power] 1 grey or brown can,t tell. and there is a blue in this country neutral on our 220 v 1 phase with thanks golfpin
digitizer101

Post by digitizer101 »

To add some additional information here. All of the wires coming from my motor were black and I had to open the connection box on the motor and look at the very tiny lettering next to each connector to find the V1, U2 and so on.

In addition to this I just noticed after using the lathe multiple times since, that the face place of the switch is backwards FWD | OFF | REV instead of REV | OFF | FWD not a big deal and I am not sure that the plate doesn't have a reverse side or that it didn't come with an additional plate and I just missed placed it. Could also be that I missed wired for this switch, but I remember forward being to the right and reverse being to the left... at least I think!

Sorry, if this isn't much help but thought it was useful information so I wanted to pop back in and mention it.

Now I just need some FWD, REV stickers to place over the current so i don't accidentally start in the wrong direction.
glb

Post by glb »

what machine do u have i can send u a picture of the back of my panal