Which quick change tool post for my 3 in 1???

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

wolframore

Re: Which quick change tool post for my 3 in 1???

Post by wolframore »

that being said... any idea what's different? The tolerances, metals, temper??? Is it something I can buy and use either way or am I wasting money. I've noticed that you really need to try to great stuff and not so great stuff to tell the difference. Has anyone actually compared the two next to each other? Is it something you can improve once you get it??? I'm not opposed to improving things I get.
Cheers!

Charlie

Knuth DBF 400 - 3 in 1 Lathe Mill
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

First set I bought was a piston style, from Enco ....or Grizzly....I forget. It was cheap...on sale....and I didn't really know the advantage of the wedge then.

Never had a good fit between the tool holder and the post, and I always had to beat on the handle with the palm of my hand to get it to hopefully not come loose. I think I rethreaded the handle 3 times after breaking it, before I made a new one. Broke it once too.

Then, I read about the wedge style. I bought a Phase II set from Enco. (can't have too many tool holders)

Biggest difference, is the tolerances. All my tool holders fit snugly on the Phase II post when you slide them on. Some more than others, but all much better fit than my old piston. Much better repeatability with the wedge by far.
Friend of mine has a CDCO wedge style, and they are loose and have a fit like my original piston style.

I've had no problems with metallurgy with any I have....and I have various brands of tool holders....Aloris, Mystery China (eBay), Enco China, Grizz, and Phase II....and a few....who knows what they are....
The tool holder is pretty forgiving....the post....notso much.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Torch

Post by Torch »

That's funny, because I would have said the opposite -- of the wedge that is. The post is a big block of metal. You can't get much more repeatable than that. The wedge moves out and down when the lever is rotated and draws the tool holder down and in against the big block of metal.

The tool holder is also a big block of metal, true. However having no moving parts, the dovetail dimension is critical. If it's a bit to wide the post's lever has to travel excessively to tighten it. If it's a bit too narrow, you can't get it on the post at all.

The expensive posts will have nice-to-have features like indexing at critical angles like 30°, 45°, 60° and 90°. That requires a higher degree of precision. The cheap toolposts just spin like a top -- the operator has to set the angle as needed. But once set, my cheap Chinese wedge-type tool post puts the tool bit back in the same spot every time I swap that holder back in (provided I ensure there are no chips in the way, of course).
wolframore

Post by wolframore »

Torch thanks for the insight. I will start with the BXA wedge type Chicom. I'm sure it will be more than fine... I can make do with the 4way but will be nice to have some tool holders for the unusal bits I have. Will be a trade off...
Cheers!

Charlie

Knuth DBF 400 - 3 in 1 Lathe Mill