reassembling b2229 spindle in headstock

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

shepdog

reassembling b2229 spindle in headstock

Post by shepdog »

after getting my spindle out and ordering new bearings, i am ready to reassemble...but one issue.

The order of parts, from the chuck side, goes:

outer flange(closes everything up)
taper bearing
bearing race
bull gear
bearing race
bearing
spacer
pulley
locknut

problem is the bull gear is bigger than the diameter of the first bearing race...so my question is how do I get that race seated properly?

if i leave the bull gear off, i can drive the race with proper tools, and then slide the spindle through the race, while trying to finaggle the gear on inside the headstock casing and tightening the set screw from the outside...very little room to do so though.

or are you just supposed to let the race sit loose on te bearing, snug on the bullgear, slide the whole mess through, and let the lock rings draw everything tight enough until everything is properly seated? seems a lot of pressure to expect those rings to generate, and not particularly good for the bearing cones...

or it is the tightening of the flanges on the outside of the headstock that draw the bearings in?