Noob in No.Ga.

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Noob in No.Ga.

Post by Harold_V »

Sigh! That's a shame, as it renders the post pretty much useless, as I said. It's really desirable for the post base to remain stationary, so when you index, the tools are in synchronization with the dial. You can still use the post, but you'll never know where the points of your tools are in relation to the spindle. That may be the case even if you could mount the base independent, however, as I don't see any means for indexing. Sadly, this is a classic example of copying an idea, but not understanding its use, so it doesn't work as would be required. None of this should be a surprise, as the Harbor Freight equipment is not known for quality, although the price isn't high, either.

Now that we have this covered, can you see how you'd mount the tools directly in that block? You wouldn't use those extensions in which the tool bit is held. You're better off if you don't, as the tool is held much closer to the support point---but----if you're hell bent on using them, you'll have to remove a little from the bottom of each holder (by milling), so it will drop the tool below center. You could then jockey the length, or use thin shims to put the tool on center. If it was up to me, I'd lose the holders.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
o1marc

Post by o1marc »

No I don't see how I would mount the tool directly in the block.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

o1marc wrote:No I don't see how I would mount the tool directly in the block.
The tools, when mounted, would resemble those in this picture.
Square turret.JPG
Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Torch

Post by Torch »

I think you are missing a part -- a ball bearing. It would fit into the indent on the base and the 4 indents on the rotating part. The key on the base fits into the t-slot on the compound/milling vice to keep the base from rotating. The handle is loosened enough to rotate the tool holders and indexes them at 90°.

BTW: it's a crappy excuse for a milling vice. I sometimes use mine to quickly hold a part while drilling, but that's about all. Some guys have actually hacksawed the fixed jaw off, to reduce interference issues with the chuck. I prefer to leave mine where it is and use it as a 0 index for the compound. Closing the vice for most turning operations provides improved rigidity on heavier cuts. When using the compound (eg: threading or cutting a taper), keep the cuts fairly light.

Another reason the fixed jaw is less of an interference issue for me is because I replaced the stock tool post with one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121056130263

The tool holders move the tool bit out far enough that the fixed jaw is no longer in the way. Well, not much in the way. I've made several of my own tool holders, some for special purposes, eg: 7° angle, but you can buy additional holders as well. That particular post is a wedge type. It's not indexed, but it doesn't really need to be -- once you set the angle of the post, you simply swap tools by swapping holders. Once a holder's height is set, you can pop it in or out at will without worrying about shims, and it's very quick to reset the height after sharpening a bit. It does require some fine-tuning for mounting to these machines, but is a vast improvement over the stock arrangement. I posted pictures of my mods in this forum, I'll see if I can find the link.
Torch

Post by Torch »

Ok, here is my original mods and installation:

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... hilit=qctp

I never really liked the way the TP was mounted off-centre on the table, so I later made this mod:

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... hilit=qctp

Note that the second mod deleted one of the earlier pieces. So if you start from there you don't have as much to do on the tool post itself.

EDIT: I just went back and looked at your pictures again. I see your table has a central slot. I would use that to mount the compound so it's not overhanging anywhere for maximum stability and nevermind my adapter plate mod.
Carld3403@yahoo.com

Post by Carld3403@yahoo.com »

Does anybody know where I can get parts for a central machinery t5980 I need the mill top cover.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Carld3403@yahoo.com wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:10 pm Does anybody know where I can get parts for a central machinery t5980 I need the mill top cover.
You would be far better off not posting your inquiry under the heading of another topic, where it most likely won't be seen by all too many people. I highly recommend you post again, starting your own thread with the subject matter reflecting your needs. That way you'll get far better exposure. You can do that in this forum, the Milling Machine forum, or even the General Discussion forum.

Welcome to the board.

H