Quick Intro and Question about my T5980

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

DRegalia

Quick Intro and Question about my T5980

Post by DRegalia »

Hey all,

I hope to spend alot of my time on this board. I just picked up a T5980 off of CL for 400 bucks. Not too bad, as something I can use to do some light work, and try to remember everything my father taught me 20+ years ago about shop work.

While that is a long long story, This is kinda short and sweet. The 3in1 works pretty good. Motors run, the Drill/Mill spins okay, but takes a while to get going. It's probably a motor thing. I need to take the belts off and see how it runs. Luckily I have a place down the street that will rewind a motor for me. After reading up on some other sites, I'm actually amazed that it's running at all. But never fear, Ken sent me some manuals for it, and I plan on tearing this thing down, and making sure it's in good shape before I try to run it with metal. However, if you look really closely at the picture, you'll see something is missing.

There's no Compound rest, or tool holder, or whatever you want to call it... and I'm not sure where to get one that will fit. I have some time to kill while i'm tearing it down and cleaning/lubing/etc. I found a small vice I can use for it for drilling, but I don't know exactly what to call the missing assembly.

If anyone here can point me in the right direction on where to find these things, and what it's actually called, I would greatly appreciate it. I may be calling it something totally different than what it actually is.
Attachments
WP_000811_small.jpg
There are areas where untrained people may work effectively and with limited equipment. Our pupil doesn't need a big laboratory to do this, he needs freedom; he needs encouragement. Edwin G. Land, Polaroid Corp 1957
Equip:
HF T5980 3 in 1
Torch

Re: Quick Intro and Question about my T5980

Post by Torch »

The compound is the part that rotates and slides can be wound in and out at the resultant angle. Most 3-in-1 machines incorporate a cheesy vice into the mechanism, so the tool post is mounted on a tee-slot on the movable jaw portion of the vice. You could probably buy one easily enough through Grizzly as a replacement part for one of their several 3-in-1 designs, but I've seen compounds show up on eBay from time to time.

The tool post is the part that holds a tool bit at the correct elevation. There are various designs. Since you are starting from scratch, you could consider an inexpensive Chinese made wedge type tool post. Around $150 on eBay and well worth the money, IMHO. That said, there are probably a lot of the other designs sitting on the shelves of people who already upgraded...
DRegalia

Post by DRegalia »

Thanks Torch.

I'll drop a post in the Buy and Sell part of the forum.. Maybe I'll get a hit.
There are areas where untrained people may work effectively and with limited equipment. Our pupil doesn't need a big laboratory to do this, he needs freedom; he needs encouragement. Edwin G. Land, Polaroid Corp 1957
Equip:
HF T5980 3 in 1
toolroom

Post by toolroom »

Hi,
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the 3 in 1. Smithy had much of the (machine) tools you may need. Also check out CDCO.com for quick change tool posts, boring bars, inserts and a host of needed tooling, vises and accessories at really great prices. You will also find that many members shine the light to Frets.com/machining, for lot's of really cool tooling to make. Hope this helps.
dinkin'
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

Just wondering how you've been doing with your machine? Haven't seen any more pics or updates?
DRegalia

Post by DRegalia »

Hey LX,

Sorry it's taken a while to come back to this. Been working on my CNC Machine that I built. Haven't really been playing too much with the 3 in 1, mainly because I'm dreading taking it apart to get the motors worked, or to clean and lube the entire thing. But I am able to get it running and get some stuff made on it. Recently I came into some 2" brass stock, and made signal cannons with it...

But every now and then, I get on there, and mess with some aluminum collars, and other assorted odds and ends.

Thanks for asking about me tho. I thought I had replied to this somewhere, or in an email. Not sure why it wasn't there.

Happy New Years!
Attachments
signalcannon1.jpg
signalcannon2.jpg
Equip:
HF T5980 3 in 1