3 in 1 Smithy 1220XL machines

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

toolroom

3 in 1 Smithy 1220XL machines

Post by toolroom »

Hello members,
I am a relatively new member who purchased a new Smithy CB1220XL, new in October 1996. I had major issues with the unit and contacted Smithy, when they were here in Oregon. It seems, that the unit had fallen off the truck, and was due back to the distributorship when it was dropped off to me. Seeing the conition of the destroyed crate...I should have rejected the unit, but I signed off on it. Smithy told me about the accident much later.
After 16 years, there isn't 50 hours on this unit. Yeah, I've made some parts for my Harley, and others, but I've never been able to use it's full potential.
I ran some tests and found out, that the carriage was milled 15 thou off in six inches, so I ordered the last carriage in stock.
I've got the machine torn down, and all the necessary mating ways all honed. The new part arrived, and... It needs to be machined? It's too wide and the casting is the worst nightmare produced. O.K., its, mine now what?
I've scribed some mating marks on the carriage where the table(saddle) rides, and will take it to a machine shop for milling. I only hope that when all is done, and adjusted, that the table runs true to the bed ways, at least within .001. I pray that I am not asking too much.
This post is definately not a complaint, but rather a heads up for Smithy owners. This has been a sweet machine over the years, "with the exception of the off set table." I see that there are many Smithy owners out there, and I hope that yours are all running true. Smithy has been very exceptional, in working with me on this ongoing issue.
I will keep you all posted on the outcome of the (new) part and its relationship to the bedways.
Tha' Tha' Thats all for now, folks!
Dinkin
toolroom

Re: 3 in 1 Smithy 1220XL machines

Post by toolroom »

Well, after all this time on my Smithy CB1220XL and my issue with the carriage. I had a machine shop mill the casting (that was way to wide) down to fit the table Just for kicks he indicated the rear dovetail and found the Chinese had managed to mill it with a .007 belly in it? I honed this part for two days, stopping to slather it with Persian Blue, letting it dry and scraping it to see what progress was made. After I had approximately 75% good, I began to assemble the carriage, gibs, and table with the gibs being adjusted on it too. My old carriage was out .010 out of square in 4" of travel.
I had a very slight wobble in the gib, and tightened it just a tad more hoping it wasn't too tight, and went to assemble the apron on the front. Now you find me on the floor laughing my butt off, as the dowel holes that locate the apron to the carriage were not there! Is this a joke from Smithy's chinese factory? The tapped holes were all to shy and had to be opened up. The hole for the cross nut was way to large, so I made a hardened bushing for it to ride in, andthe casting which was the poorest excuse for a foundry had to be ground with an angle grinder.
I honed for another day+ on the old carriage, and re-assembeled it all back together. When I was done, and traming in my vise, I found that I was now only .0015 out of square, instead of the .010 in 4" travel. What the heck, I guess I can live with this fer a spell.
I see lots of individuals with Grizzly problems here, so... Just a heads up on Smithy as well..."If it's made in China-It's gonna have major problems." (Be Prepared)
Wishing all the asian machine owners "rotsa ruck"
dinkin'
Last edited by toolroom on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

I hear you! :wink:
daGrouch

Post by daGrouch »

So YOU'RE the *&$^* that got the last one!

Actually I wanted a saddle but the last was just sold. I think China outsourced these to India. Still, it's better than trying to machine on a drill press (an Asian one at that).

Ed
Ed
My YouTube channel