Need help with a PRMT 3in1 machine.

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

vincent52100

Need help with a PRMT 3in1 machine.

Post by vincent52100 »

Hi all. I just picked up this machine and thought it was just a lathe (that's the way it was advertised). Anyway, when I picked it up the owner told me that it was actually a combo machine. Its heavy and well built, shows very little wear. The original motor went bad and he replaced it with a motor he had lying around which was mounted on a homemade stand. Of course set up this way you can only use it as a lathe. I would like to be able to install a motor and use it as a 3in1. I would also like to find out any information about it. The original motor etc was tossed a long time ago unfortunately. Any help would be greatly appreciated! The unit was manufactured by Pearl River Machine Trading but I have not been able to find out anything else. I've added some pictures.
Attachments
prmt 001.jpg
prmt 001.jpg (74.68 KiB) Viewed 4516 times
prmt 009.jpg
prmt 009.jpg (73.84 KiB) Viewed 4516 times
prmt 004.jpg
prmt 004.jpg (68.9 KiB) Viewed 4516 times
prmt 014.jpg
prmt 014.jpg (74.84 KiB) Viewed 4516 times
sch

Re: Need help with a PRMT 3in1 machine.

Post by sch »

It certainly looks like a lathe and only vaguely like it might have been a bastardized 3n1. Your pix show nothing even suggestive of a milling head
and no obvious way to mount one. Milling heads are either bolted to the top of the lathe spindle and extend out over the bed or bolt to the
middle of the lathe bed cantilevered off the back side. should be a boss or holes back there if that was so at one time. Lack of a threading dial
makes threading dicey, not impossible but dicey. Lack of change gears means a minimal selection of TPI or pitch. Hand drive on the cross feed
will make smooth finishes difficult and tedious. Not clear from your photos what might have been in the empty space below the lathe spindle.
You will need a tool holder also, such as http://www.cdcotools.com/. Hope you didn't pay much for this or have another box of goodies not
pictured.