Replacement parts/upgrades for HF 3 in 1

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Torch

Re: Replacement parts/upgrades for HF 3 in 1

Post by Torch »

If it's MT-2, collets won't be a problem.
DRegalia

Post by DRegalia »

MT-2 Collets are rather abundant, but i'm trying to find some that are threaded for a drawbar.. i'm not seeing any tho..

Are they pretty rare?
There are areas where untrained people may work effectively and with limited equipment. Our pupil doesn't need a big laboratory to do this, he needs freedom; he needs encouragement. Edwin G. Land, Polaroid Corp 1957
Equip:
HF T5980 3 in 1
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
sch

Post by sch »

From your original pix it appears the spindle is an MT2 size, though the Northern Tool website says either "MT2 or R8 collets will work" which makes
absolutely no sense at all. One source for MT2 collets:
http://www.victornet.com/report/2MT-Collets/873.html
You don't need more than 3/8 and maybe 1/2" sizes as endmills that are in between 1/8 and 7/16 all have 3/8" shanks. It is arguable that your machine can't handle larger than 1/2" which is the largest MT2 collet size.
Smaller endmills than 1/8 will have 1/4 or 1/8" shanks and will require spindle speeds above 2000 rpm for steel and much more for aluminum.
Sets are 'attractive' and seem to make sense til you find out later that endmills only come a few shank sizes and you have little use for the oddball sizes. Which is
why I have a bunch of MT3 collets still wrapped in wax paper.
Torch

Post by Torch »

sch wrote:From your original pix it appears the spindle is an MT2 size, though the Northern Tool website says either "MT2 or R8 collets will work" which makes
absolutely no sense at all.
I know the Chinese factory that makes the larger machine offers R8 or MT3 spindle options. Maybe R8 is available as an option on the smaller machine as well?

However, the two are mutually exclusive. You get one or the other and you can't make an R8 collet fit an MT2 spindle or vice-versa. Obviously someone in marketing with no concept of the difference wrote that (probably copied it from a Chinglish spec sheet).
DRegalia

Post by DRegalia »

Hey All,

Thought i'd post a few updates and get some responding done.
@ctwo: Yes, those are what i'm looking for... Thank you

@sch: I went out and measured all of my Mill bits. You're correct, so i'm hunting down a few onsey twosey bits on Ebay. 10 bucks here, 10 bucks there.. I can't go wrong. Thanks for the heads up. Also, appreciate the 2000+rpm thing. I need to look up speeds for different metals. Totally spaced on that.

@torch: Thanks for your help and knowledge. I will either be looking for MT2 Tapered drawbar collets for the specific sized bits I own. I think that will be my easiest option for now, while I'm kinda building out. I don't want to go too crazy on sets, because the next machines I get will undoubtedly not be a combo machine, and I have no idea what sizes it will take.

As for the item I got from Northerntool to replace the old arbor:
It's a little bigger than i thought, but fits perfectly, and I was back in business makin stuff again.
Huzzah :D
Attachments
newarbor.jpg
There are areas where untrained people may work effectively and with limited equipment. Our pupil doesn't need a big laboratory to do this, he needs freedom; he needs encouragement. Edwin G. Land, Polaroid Corp 1957
Equip:
HF T5980 3 in 1
Torch

Post by Torch »

I'd count this as a happy ending then. ;-)