ISO SHOPTASK OR OTHER 3-n-1 FOR SALE

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

alexbluemoon

ISO SHOPTASK OR OTHER 3-n-1 FOR SALE

Post by alexbluemoon »

Hi folks,
I am tired of using my boss's Southbend lathe and Atlas vert. milling machines with almost no tooling so I am searching for an inexpensive 3n1 machine to learn on. Any Shoptasks out there that people have outgrown?
Thanks,
Alex Puls
Atlanta, GA
alexbluemoon@yahoo.com
Cliff

Re: ISO SHOPTASK OR OTHER 3-n-1 FOR SALE

Post by Cliff »

Sorry, I still like and use my ShopTask.
Mance

Post by Mance »

Shoptask also runs (or used to) incredibly long delivery times and takes prepayments as deposits sometimes over a year in advance so it's a much sought-after machine in the "used" market, oft-times commanding as much/more than originally paid to avoid long waits. And while there are some bargains to be had in the older style machines, the new ones are anything but "inexpensive" be they new or used. Shoptask's, especially the unit with the new style mill column are a pretty hot item as 3-in-1's go but they're pretty proud of em $-wise too. I considered one back in March/April last year but they wanted nigh on $4k up-front and no guarantee when I would get mine... not even a "rough' guesstimate and would not a consider a 25% non-refundable deposit.. 100% cash, up-front only! All they would say is "next shipment" but wouldn't say if that shipment was 2 weeks to 10 years away. In fact they stopped answering my emails and phone calls when pressed for any ballpark idea of delivery time. Later, on a shoptask website I learned some people who had been promised "next shipment" orders had been out money for up to a year and still no one was returning phone calls. Panic was rampant and rumors were flying. In all fairness I believe everyone eventually got their machines and it is entirely possible this was a one-time hitch in their giddy-up but I've had that taste in my mouth before and wasn't all warm & runny inside about their customer service at the time.

Maybe everythings cool now and everyone's happy but there was a time...

Mance
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

I understand there are two sides to that coin.

Their side: It appears when they find their Chinese supplier building their machines for the competition, they change. Then there's a LOOONNNNGGG lag time, as happened last year.

That's the beneficial version. Otherwise, you're left with the impression that they can't properly plan their product changes, and want to avoid having ANY of an old design around to sell when the new design arrives.

I know I was caught in the end of one older design when the newer design came out. I uncrated and installed mine and a few days later got the new HSM and found an ad (obviously placed many months before) announcing the new model. I called and spoke to Jt and was given a lame excuse and a promise of some updated features when they became available as parts. Apparently they never became available.

From a customer standpoint, you pay them your money and allow them to use it to build and pay for your machine. And you wait.

From a service standpoint, Smithy is far better for customer support -- they at least have some machines in stock to order from. Shoptask keeps no machine inventory. Trouble is it isn't JIT inventory.

From a machine standpoint, Shoptask is doing the design and innovation that keeps their machine at the front of the pack. All others (including Smithy and Grizzly) use old cast-off designs of Shoptask. The best machine is still the Shoptask.

The rumor was that Smithy was the result of a guy (can't remember his name) selling Shoptask machines for Shoptask, finding out where and how they were built, and ordering his own machines, undercutting Shoptask. Another version was that he realized the benefits of good customer service and marketing and took advantage of the shortcomings in Shoptask. You can certianly see the slicker presentation of the Smithy machines. At any rate, JT certainly can't stand the guy. Personally, I think the competition is the only thing that drives Shoptask innovation, and they can innovate.

I was wondering how Shoptask survived, two years ago they moved from the Seattle area to Las Vegas and started a racing program, then last year they have no inventory to sell for most of a year, but apparently they had no problems. But then, they had their customer's money to live off of.

And lately there's some pictures on the Shoptask user's group of JT's conversion of his Porsche 928 into a 6x4 pickup.

Maybe Shoptask is just their sideline; sorta like us hobby machinists!
Dave_S

Post by Dave_S »

Hi Alex,

If you've decided on ShopTask, then you can skip this message. Otherwise, you might look at some of the Emco Maximat machinery in this section. Fully-tooled V10-P and Compact 11 lathes with mills show up from time to time in the $1000 - $3000 price range (depending on condition and the phase of the moon.) I haven't checked out ShopTask, but I can vouch that Emco makes some pretty good 3-1 machines.

Dave
willjordan

Post by willjordan »

I, too, will say good things about my EMCO Maximat V10 and its siblings. Good quality and an arrangement that doesn't get in its own way. The V10 is 10x25 with lathe speeds from 60-2500 and 4 milling speeds.

For pictures, see my post in the Maximat thread.
grace & peace
will

[url=http://willjordan.com]Will's Web Pages[/url]
alexbluemoon

Post by alexbluemoon »

The reasons why I mentioned the Shoptask was that they seem to have a real robust product (judging from the website). The guy in Vegas called me and seemed to honest enough about the limitations of a 3-n-1 machine. These stories, however, are kinda making me want to look at a seperate mini lathe and mini mill or another brand altogether. I really just need a small, inexpensive setup to learn on.
Thanks to everyone who has given input that could keep me from making a costly, frustrating mistake.
-Alex
GeorgeGaskill

If you could find a good EMCO at the ...

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

price of a Shoptask, I would buy it as fast as I could get my checkbook out.
RandyZ

Re: If you could find a good EMCO at the ...

Post by RandyZ »

Got my 2003 model 2 months ago. I like it and would buy another one, inspite of the 50 week wait

Randy in Thunder Bay
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I too am looking at a used shop task, hardly used. It is the 22-12 model that I am told is one of the better for $450. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/shocked.gif"%20alt="[/img] Only tooling it has is a drill chuck, 3 jaw lathe chuck, and a tool post holder. No other tooling and no manual. I know nothing about machining but am wanting to learn.

So.....What do you guys think? Is the price good? What are the pros and cons?
mendoje1

Post by mendoje1 »

I dont have a 3in1 (wait a minute, does a benchtop Unimat mill/lathe count?), but for that price, if its in good shape, I dont see how you can go wrong. If you outgrow it and get separate machines, you can always use it as a second smaller lathe. A friend who races has a 3in1 in addition to his lathe and bridgeport clone, and he uses it plenty!

Also check out the thread, "Advice for Absolute Beginner" in the General Discussion Board. And I wouldn't be afraid to just jump right into it, just go REAL slow, dont be agressive, and think everything through before taking that first tiny cut!

Jeff
Rockwell-South Bend-Ammco-Delta-Craftsman-Lincoln-Harris-& Harbor Freight too !
alexbluemoon

Post by alexbluemoon »

Jeff,
If you don't purchase that machine please let me know...I would certainly be interested.
Thanks,
Alex
alexbluemoon@yahoo.com