Wiring Problem With My Lathe/Mill

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Khym

Wiring Problem With My Lathe/Mill

Post by Khym »

Hello! I'm new here and joined Home Machinist to learn from people who know more than I do and, maybe, pass along what little I know.
I've got a problem I would like to share with readers that has had me stumped for a while.

I have a Grizzly 9729. A couple of years ago, while running the lathe the work piece jammed the cutting tool and the lathe stopped. Neither the lathe nor the mill would run after that. After contacting Grizzly it was determined that the contactor had been damaged. I ordered a new one and when it arrived set to work replacing it. Since I'm not an electrician I took pictures, drew diagrams and made notes about the wiring. However, at that time a serious medical emergency occurred in my family. I wasn't able to return to finishing the job for quite some time. Now that I can start again I've found that my notes and such have disappeared. I have a lot of loose wires that I no longer remember what to do with. The wiring diagram in the owner's manual isn't helpful to me. I need to know what color wire goes in which connection. Can anyone help me with this?

Regards,
Khym
Torch

Re: Wiring Problem With My Lathe/Mill

Post by Torch »

Khym wrote:Hello! I'm new here and joined Home Machinist to learn from people who know more than I do and, maybe, pass along what little I know.
I've got a problem I would like to share with readers that has had me stumped for a while.

I have a Grizzly 9729. A couple of years ago, while running the lathe the work piece jammed the cutting tool and the lathe stopped. Neither the lathe nor the mill would run after that. After contacting Grizzly it was determined that the contactor had been damaged. I ordered a new one and when it arrived set to work replacing it. Since I'm not an electrician I took pictures, drew diagrams and made notes about the wiring. However, at that time a serious medical emergency occurred in my family. I wasn't able to return to finishing the job for quite some time. Now that I can start again I've found that my notes and such have disappeared. I have a lot of loose wires that I no longer remember what to do with. The wiring diagram in the owner's manual isn't helpful to me. I need to know what color wire goes in which connection. Can anyone help me with this?

Regards,
Khym
I don't have a 9729 so I can't help with the colours. However, if the only wires removed were from the contactor, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Looking at the wiring diagram and photos in the manual I downloaded from Grizzly's website, it appears that the power cord white goes to T3, black to T2. The green of course is connected to chassis ground. On the other end, there are two cords to the mill reversing switch and lathe reversing switch, respectively. The black from each goes to L2 and the whites to L3. Again, the greens go to the chassis ground. According to the wiring schematic, the power light also goes to L2 and L3. However, it doesn't look like they wired it that way in the picture. They may be using L1 for the light.

There should be at least on more pair of wires, from the power switch. Some photos of the contactor (particularly if it has a schematic printed on the side) and the wires you have might be helpful to figure out the rest.
sch

Post by sch »

Looking at the manual, the contactor appears to have two coil terminals, probably at the chassis end of the contactor on one side and to be a 3 or 4 pole single
throw NO (normally open) electric relay. In the circuit the 110vac input is N and L. N is connected to one side of the contactor coil. The other side of the contactor
coil is connected to both one side of the start switch AND one of the NO contacts. The other side of this NO contact is connected to the other side of the start switch.
In addition the other side of the start switch will be connected to one side of the Estop switch. The other two NO contacts on the contactor will be connected to
N and L on one side of the contactor and to the indicator light, mill and lathe FOR/REV switches on the other. If you trace the wires you should be able to determine
which wires go where. If the contactor has 4 poles, then one is not used.
Torch

Post by Torch »

From the images in the manual, the contactor is an "LC1 D1201". Looking at images of that model contactor on-line, it appears the two coil terminals sch mentions are probably labelled "A1" and "A2"