New Member with a new toy.

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

orf 1

New Member with a new toy.

Post by orf 1 »

Thanks all for letting me join your grope. I have a small ( I mean small) 3in1 lathe made by Central Machinery It has the number 39743 on it. not suer if that is a model number or what I don't have a operator or parts manual so Im flying blind. I found the same machine built by Sieg. sold by Samsmile 0102 store under #Lg110. Im in the process of tearing the machine down oiling the bearing and trying to put everything in alinement. The lath is about the size of a Unimat lathe that I played with years ago so It should give me hours of challenges. If any one knows this machine or has a parts brake down it would help to keep me out of ( will you know what it will keep me out of) nice to meet you all. James :roll:
Torch

Re: New Member with a new toy.

Post by Torch »

orf 1 wrote:Thanks all for letting me join your grope.
We had a choice? I missed the vote? Dang! Why doesn't anybody ever tell me these things?

Oh well, since it's too late to do anything about it, welcome to group. Ooops, I mean the group. No groping allowed. Unless you're really cute and female and my wife isn't looking. :wink:
I have a small ( I mean small) 3in1 lathe made by Central Machinery It has the number 39743 on it.

That's the Model Number alright. Sold by Harbor Freight.
If any one knows this machine or has a parts brake down it would help to keep me out of ( will you know what it will keep me out of)
There are complete parts diagrams in the back of the Owner's Manual. Yes, I know you said you didn't have one of those but I do believe you can find a copy in the Old Machine Archives: http://machine.archives.verhey.org/items/show/14

Enjoy. :wink:
orf 1

Post by orf 1 »

Thanks Troch the link is a life saver. Ill be spending a grate amount of time reading Home Machinist post trying to get up to speed. Also it good to know that are someone in the grope ( group) that can spell better than my spell checker :mrgreen:
RCW

Post by RCW »

Welcome orf1!

Most of us tend to diss HF, but one good thing about them is that they have manuals available on-line for most machinery, so that you can look before you buy, or print out a new copy after your pet condor has shredded you original manual. Unfortunately, I cannot find the 3-in-1 unit on their website anymore. Anyone know if they have they discontinued it, and, if so, why?

I notice that the have some larger lathes (12"-14') and mills. My initial reaction is to doubt the quality of these, but that is just prejudice. Anyone have real experience with them? [I'm still leaning toward Matt's PM12236.]

Orfg, please let us all know how you like your machine after you get it restored and have completed a project or two. There is a thread for postings on mills and one for postings on lathes. You experience could be useful to the next newbie.
--Bob