making a pulley on a lathe

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Torch

Re: making a pulley on a lathe

Post by Torch »

Dan wrote: But so cool. I do own a; http://littlemachineshop.com/products/p ... ategory=DI w/ magnetic base.
It's a Dial indicator, not a Dial Test Indicator, but it'll do for now. Dial test indicators have a pivoted arm, dial indicators have a plunger. Because of the pivoting arm, DTIs do not read accurately throughout their travel, only near the centre, but they are very sensitive, with a lot of pointer travel compared to a DI. That's why they are used to check relative change like indicating a vise or centering a part on the lathe, but not for measuring an absolute distance. They also have a very limited range, typically 0.030 from stop to stop, and many are bi-directional (will measure either direction the arm is pushed). While the measuring range is very slight, perhaps a degree or two, the arm is typically mounted with a friction connection to the dial, and can be set +/- 90° to the body making it very versatile for positioning. The body is typically considerably smaller too, so it can fit in a tighter place.

If you want to measure accurately over a comparatively large distance, then a dial indicator is the way to go, but for amplifying a slight variation, a DTI is the weapon of choice.
Torch

Post by Torch »

warmstrong1955 wrote:I've got a 3 ton arbor press, which is what I have always used here for broaching. That 3/8" broach in the pic is 14" long, and the hub is 3-1/4", so it was too tall for the arbor press.
Ahhh. I didn't think of the force required to push a broach that wide through a steel hub that long. I guess I had the OP's 5/8" shaft still in the back of my mind.

One thing I will mention (for the benefit of those yet to try broaching): Way oil (or EP gear lube) is an essential component of this process. A broach is tapered (in that each tool projects a few thou more than the last) so you are trying to cram a HSS wedge through a metal hole. As a result, there's a lot of pressure against the back of the bushing so a good smear of way oil is highly beneficial!
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Dan wrote:OIC!

Really does takes me some time to absorb and understand. But so cool. I do own a; http://littlemachineshop.com/products/p ... &category=
DI w/ magnetic base.

Was exhausted and over complicated this.

Makes perfect sense now.
There's lots of different ways to machine a part....none necessarily are wrong, just that some are easier and faster than others.
A 6" chuck would do it.
A faceplate would as well.
You could use an arbor.....

Just a matter of how much money you want to spend...and how long you care to take machining it....and are you going to build 1, or 100?
Nothing wrong with investing in tooling....chances are you'll use it all again...need to keep that in mind when you plan.

Example of DTI that Torch mentioned: http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=510-2220

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Torch wrote:
warmstrong1955 wrote:I've got a 3 ton arbor press, which is what I have always used here for broaching. That 3/8" broach in the pic is 14" long, and the hub is 3-1/4", so it was too tall for the arbor press.
Ahhh. I didn't think of the force required to push a broach that wide through a steel hub that long. I guess I had the OP's 5/8" shaft still in the back of my mind.

One thing I will mention (for the benefit of those yet to try broaching): Way oil (or EP gear lube) is an essential component of this process. A broach is tapered (in that each tool projects a few thou more than the last) so you are trying to cram a HSS wedge through a metal hole. As a result, there's a lot of pressure against the back of the bushing so a good smear of way oil is highly beneficial!
Yeah....it's quite a push. It surprised me.
I've always used cutting oil....all over. I'll have to try EP or way oil next time....see if it makes a difference.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Dan

Post by Dan »

Ordered the face plate, aluminum and tool bits today. Kinda exciting.
Dan
Dan

Post by Dan »

"There's lots of different ways to machine a part....none necessarily are wrong, just that some are easier and faster than others."

Man, very true and amazing with this stuff, Warmstorng.

Spent the day, and I mean from sunrise to now, building a shelf for my ill planned purchase of this mill /lathe. My whole shop was built around it and it is still sitting in the garage under plastic. Seriously, the foundation (blocks) is shored up just for this thing and a spot was left open for it.

Found a really great thing here. I forget who posted it so please forgive me but as the mill portion swivels, I am mounting the machine so that the lathe and the mill are independent of each other and both have their own work tables.

Really funny part is the shop is not really done yet and I am putting equipment in it. http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm48 ... 06_937.jpg

Do have doors now, lol.

I did not intend to interrupt the conversation. It is way more fun and educational then my rambling updates.

This project is going to to get much more involved and I will need to do some incredible arbor press stuff and a blind bushing. All brand new to me. So really enjoying the conversation.

Thanks again all.
Dan
Dan

Post by Dan »

With the advice received here, (Thanks again) have been getting proper tools. Got a 2 ton arbor press. http://www.homedepot.com/p/JET-2-Ton-Ar ... /205045407 and broaches. Thought I went overboard with the 2 ton but glad I did.

Took a long while to get back on this project. (regular life stuff stopped the fun)
Really funny re-reading this thread. I was trying hard but was kinda lost a good deal of the time.

Took making some tools and parts to get the concepts st8. But going great and a lot more fun without all (well, most) of the confusion.

Started second transmission/gear reduction project similar to what this sheave is for, but that one is manual and kinda complex. Even more fun.

:D
Dan